Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 420519 - Unaccounted airman - 19-5-1942

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by COL BRUGGY View Post
    Henk,

Re: AUS406626 Sgt Thomas Alan RUTHERFORD RAAF.

14-8-1942
    54 OTU
    Blenheim V BA192

Hit tree on take-off at Charterhall and crashed.

AUS406626 Sgt (Pilot) Thomas Alan RUTHERFORD RAAF +
    1417331 Sgt (Obs./W.Op.) James Clifford KIDD RAFVR +

NB. Rutherford has no visible A705 at the NAA.

Col.
    May I ask how accurate the above information is please? The reason I ask is that my late mother was the last surviving sister of JC Kidd. She would never talk about what happened to him even after all these years, the only bit of information I did get was that she said he was in a Beaufighter when they crashed and all onboard were killed. Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

John,
    Sgt Rutherford's service file is at the link below but, unfortunately, has not been digitalised yet. The Australian National archives are usually quick at sending a copy. The file usually has copies of the letters sent to next of kin and may provide further detail. There does not seem to be a casualty file for him which would normally have copies of the accident reports, witness statements etc.

Alan.

http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/DetailsReports/ItemDetail.aspx?Barcode=5529325

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AL90 View Post
    John,
    Sgt Rutherford's service file is at the link below but, unfortunately, has not been digitalised yet. The Australian National archives are usually quick at sending a copy. The file usually has copies of the letters sent to next of kin and may provide further detail. There does not seem to be a casualty file for him which would normally have copies of the accident reports, witness statements etc.

Alan.

http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/DetailsReports/ItemDetail.aspx?Barcode=5529325
    Many thanks for the reply Alan.

Thanks

Hi Henk

No.15 (P)AFU ORB has:
    10:30 hrs F/A in Bridlington area. Sgt Pilot Rutherford RAAF killed instantly from multiple injuries.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Ross

This Rutherford was Sgt BERNARD RINIAN ROY RUTHERFORD (406540) RAAF - age 22 who was flying Oxford I, L9647, which collided with Oxford, R6358 whilst in formation and dived into ground near Driffield.

Malcolm