Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unknown medallion

Thanks

Default Unknown medallion

Hi all there,

http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt271/pinuche0706/Medaillon-Kalmanson.jpg

This medallion was probably given in thanking by Phil Lamason or Ken Chapman 15sqn LM575 to the family who sheltered them in Chevreuse, France.

A son of the family want to know if this medallion could result from a RAFs service or group.

Could someone help us to identify this object

Thank you
    Roger
    Last edited by pinuche0706; 8th August 2009 at 23:00. Reason: error made on squadron number thanks to Alan

Thanks

Hi Roger,
    Just a correction to your posting, LM575 and crew were from 15sqdn.
    Regards....Alan

Thanks

Hi Roger
    certainly not an issued RAF item, looks like a locally produced item, possibly a good luck charm.

Regards

Daz

Thanks

Hello Daz,
    But look closely at the Eagle then look at the Eagle on the RAF Crest and the RAF uniform shoulder badges - a very strong resemblance! I can clearly see how it could be connected to the RAF.

Another thought that comes to mind is the traditional 'Stork carrying a baby from its beak' in this case with the Sun as a backdrop, though in this case the bird on the medallion doesnt appear a stork. An eagle would carry from its talons?

Is there an artist out there who can help?
    Norman

P.S.
    I said 'Eagle' in full knowledge of the origins of the RAF and how the bird is also decribed as an 'Albatross' - from the RNAS connection
    Last edited by namrondooh; 9th August 2009 at 13:54. Reason: expanding 2nd para

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by namrondooh View Post
    P.S.
    I said 'Eagle' in full knowledge of the origins of the RAF and how the bird is also decribed as an 'Albatross' - from the RNAS connection
    The RNAS badge is of an eagle also, not an albatross. See also discussion at
    http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5036&highlight=eagle+albatross&pa ge=2

Errol

Thanks

Hello All,

Looks like a wicker balloon-basket, suspended from the 'bird's' beak.

Col.

Thanks

Hi,
    I must admit it does not look like an 'Eagel' or an 'Albatross' to me,

The bird is not to the design of the RAF emblem, but nice all the same

Chris

Thanks

Norman

I just meant that it was not an issued item like a cap badge, trade badge or issued medal. I think it is some form of locally manufactured item and would think that the Eagle is symbolic and is a reference to the RAF. As for the basket and the sun I have no idea, could the item be Masonic or another similar organisation??

Regards

Daz

Thanks

If I can chime in with a female point of view here, this looks to me awfully like a piece of jewellery, which may well have been chosen as a thank-you gift because it resonated with the situation. The sunbursts at the back of the bird have an Art Deco look to me. Do you know what it is made of, and are there any stamps or markings on the back?

Perhaps if it is known exactly to whom the item was given, it might shed a bit more light on the story. If there was a lady in the household, perhaps the airmen gave it to her as a keepsake of their adventure. Was it given during or after the war?
    Last edited by Natalie; 11th August 2009 at 02:53.

Thanks

Hi Roger,
    I did a search on jewellery mythology and have come up with a few suggestions. It would appear from inspection that the pendant is made of copper judging from the tarnished colour and aging shown. Copper is representative of Taurus and Sagittarius astrological signs, earth and fire elementals, sun and mars, the number 1 and the base and sacral chakars.
    The eagle represents spirit, healing and creation. The eagle is symbol of the zenith a great reminder of your own ability to soar to great heights. Eagles are messengers from heaven and are the embodiment of the spirit of the sun.
    I would suggest that this is a piece of jewellery akin to a talisman worn by the wearer as a form of good luck and protection which was so common amongst the forces during wartime. This particular piece of jewellery taking in the above would be most appropriate for a member of the airforce to wear.
    Just a suggestion, hope it helps and not muddy the waters too much.
    Regards,
    Rob Jerram.
    Last edited by RobJ; 11th August 2009 at 05:34. Reason: minor edit