Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 420603 - Unaccounted airmen - 3-6-1942

Thanks

Default Hotspur glider crash

A recent BBC TV program: Robbed, Raided, Reunited, told one story of a burglary in Cheshire where medals were stolen, along with a caterpillar badge belonging to an AC2 George Newton, the late father of the victim. The offenders were caught and imprisoned and the medals returned but not the badge. The Police researched the service record of AC Newton and presented a replacement badge with a dossier detailing AC Newton's RAF career. A little of the dossier flashed on screen and I took note because of a local, Northamptonshire, link.
    It transpired that AC2 Newton was in BT 500 AFEE, Hotspur 2 glider, which had broken up in mid air, as described, near RAF Chelveston on 3/6/42.. Denford rather than Densford,village is about 5 miles north of the former RAF station which was once used by Airborne Forces Experimental Establishment, particularliy for testing the Hotspur and Twin Hotspur gliders.. I think it likely that the glider had taken off from Chelveston and was expected back there, rather than having.come from Sherburn.
    There is a great clip of Hotspurs on Youtube
    http://youtu.be/M-0nEMOc2Gk

I'm new here and don't expect I will post much but I hope you will allow me to include the following link to some web pages which will lead to an index of names and a web photo album in respect of some WW2 Post Office newsletters from Northampton. These consist mainly of letters home from ex PO staff in the services. A number served in the RAF and some were lost. Scroll down the 250 + names in the index to see them.
    https://sites.google.com/site/northamptonnews/home

Thanks

Hello

AC1 George F. DELL - 1290218 - the Wells Journal of June 19th 1942 reporte the following:

THE LATE MR. G. F. BELL
    The funeral took place at Dawlish on Monday of last week of the late Leading Aircraftman George Frederick Dell, R.A.F., of Albert Place, Dawlish, who died at Leuchars, Fife, the previous Wednesday. The late Mr. Dell, who leaves a widow and five young children, died after a short illness at the age of 34 years.

Cpl David REID - 906516 - a family tree on ancestry.co.uk states that he died at 4 Ardgreenan Drive, Belfast, but gives no source.

Regards