Thread: Unlucky Service Numbers?

Thanks

Default Unlucky Service Numbers?

Hi

I have noticed that some RAF service numbers seemed unlucky and were assigned two or three times. Did this mean the owner of that number had always been killed? If the person was taken POW did he still retain his service number or was it given to another?

Motherbird

Thanks

Hi,

RAF Service numbers were unique and not reissued.

There were two distinct sequences ORs/NCO/WO and Officer.

Duplicate numbers are normally transcription errors in records.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Motherbird,
    Ross is right.

Duplicate numbers are normally transcription errors in records.

If, however, you are just searching by numbers (in the LG, or Times Archive, for example) then you may get "hits" for the same number. These mostly turn out to have been issued by somebody else's Army, or Air Force, or even Navy! As Ross says; they're either transcription errors, or as Dennis will no doubt concur, scanning errors!!!
    Rgds
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Did I hear my name mentioned??

Motherbird?

Can you give us some examples of what you've found and we can explain the reasons why perhaps.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hi All

I hope Iím not being very thick here! But here goes...

1334062 John Maitland YOUNG (127951). LONDON GAZETTE 27 OCTOBER, 1942 page 4648
    (He was a pilot with 2 Squadron and was posted 84 GC squadron 14/4/45)

Intelligence Corps. Capt. (temp. Maj.) F. R. Fuglesang (127951). LONDON GAZETTE 23 SEPTEMBER, 1943 page 4232 (Army I suppose)

Both appear 3 times in the LONDON GAZETTE with same number so I donít think it could be a copying or typo error.
    Did British Army and RAF use same numbers? In this instance I guess with a name like Fuglesang it could be another nationalities army. Canít off hand find the other instances, will keep looking!

Motherbird

Thanks

My RAAF father's service number first belonged to an 18th AFA Brigade man, a volunteer in March 1931. He seems to have been discharged July 1931 .

They are both listed & digitalised in National Archives of Australia under 422612

Anne
    Last edited by aestorm; 10th August 2009 at 16:46.

Thanks

In the case you have given one man is British Army the other is Royal Air Force.

RAF and Army service numbers are independant systems and do not relate to each other.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

I'm no authority on service numbers, but I would say that this is simply coincidence. The army and RAF would have had their own independant numbering systems, but simply due to the sheer number of men in each service it was coincidence that numbers overlapped on numerous occasions.
    I have come across many instances while searching for 'my' airmen that Army Officers come up with the same numbers. For example i checked my grandfather's - 159700. This comes up with him, H S G Thomas MC and an airman, A J Millar DFC.

That's my theory anyway!

Cheers, Tom

Thanks

One way I believe two men could have the same service number while serving in the RAF is when the the RAF was established in 1918 many ncos were given five figure service numbers. If these men were still serving during WW2 it was possible that a newly commissioned wartime RAF officer could have the same five figure number !

Mark