Thread: Halifax BB251

Thanks

Default Halifax BB251

Hi,
    Chorley has Halifax BB251 of 1659 HCU, as being wrecked in a ground collision at Topcliffe on 21/12/43 but only gives the name of the pilot. Would anyone happen to know who the rest of the crew were and if there were any deaths that were not recorded in Chorley's
    TIA.....Alan.

Thanks

Default Halifax BB251

Hello Alan,

Any idea as to what BB251 collided with ?

Alex
    Last edited by Alex Smart; 16th August 2009 at 13:43.

Thanks

Alex,
    It collided with a 431sqdn Halifax LK991 after landing, the 431 a/c was repairable but BB251 was wrecked. It's the crew-names from BB251 that i'm trying to get hold of.

Thanks

Hi folks, Im catching up with all Yorkshire related postings after my holiday.

regarding this incident, I have it as occuring at Croft not Topcliffe, as does Chorley. What I have is...

"BB251 missed the runway coming in to land at night at 23-13hrs during a severe rain storm. Hit a parked Halifax (LK991) at dispersal and both aircraft wrecked. Luckily only 1 crew member injured. ORB states that it was on 20th dec 43, RV-V crashed on landing damaging halifax SE-U of 431 Sqdn. BB251 was lost and had no contact with the ground. Crofts runway lighting was put on and the aircraft crash landed with poor visiblity." Oddly the ORB gives the date as 20th which is wrong.

Reason why i think Croft is correct apart from records is that on 21st Dec 43 at 20.30hrs Lancaster DS615 landed rammed a Halifax at Topcliffe on dispersal and deaths occured, this would presumably have closed the airfield for a time and all returning aircraft would have been diverted. Ironically Ive just been emailed by the family of one killed on DS615.

regards Rich Allenby

Thanks

Hi Rich,
    Thanks for the info, after my original posting, i dug a little deeper and found that Lancaster DS615 that crashed at Topcliffe was the aircraft i was looking for, see my other posting "Deaths of 3 RCAF airmen"
    Regards....Alan.