Thread: 2/Lt John Bell Stockbridge RAF

Thanks

Default 2/Lt John Bell Stockbridge RAF

Hi, another man I am trying to research, 2/Lt JB Stockbridge, he was commissioned from the ranks into the RAF in 1917/18, I think he was a pilot as he appears in the London gazette under "General duties" in the 1920's. I am interested to find out which squadrons he served with and when he was commissioned? can anybody help? Thanks in advance, Rick

Thanks

Rick,

According to the Feb 1919 RAF AFL, he was commissioned 21 Aug 1918, as an A&S pilot.

Errol

Thanks

Ravrick, From the LG:
    Air Ministry,
    6th September, 1918.
    ROYAL AIR FORCE.
    FLYING BRANCH.
    The undermentioned Flight Cadets are granted temp commns. as 2nd Lts. (A. & S.):-
    21st Aug. 1918.
    John Bell Stockbridge.

Air Ministry,
    12th September, 1919.
    ROYAL AIR FORCE.
    The following officers have been granted short service Commissions in the ranks stated, with effect from 12th Sept. 1919 (except where otherwise stated). They will retain their seniority in the substantive rank last held by them prior to the grant of the short service Commission, except where otherwise stated:
    Flying Officers.
    John Bell Stockbridge (A. & S.).

Air Ministry,
    29th September, 1922.
    ROYAL AIR FORCE.
    GENERAL DUTIES BRANCH.
    The undermentioned Flying Officers are transferred to the Reserve, with effect from the dates indicated:
    CLASS A.
    John Bell STOCKBRIDGE. 16th Sept. 1922.

Air Ministry,
    9th February, 1932.
    ROYAL AIR FORCE RESERVE.
    Reserve of Air Force Officers.
    GENERAL DUTIES BRANCH.
    The undermentioned Flying Officers are promoted to the rank of Flight Lieutenant. 10th Feb. 1932:
    John Bell STOCKBRIDGE.

Air Ministry,
    7th February, 1933.
    ROYAL AIR FORCE RESERVE.
    Reserve of Air Force Officers.
    GENERAL DUTIES BRANCH.
    Flight Lieutenant John Bell STOCKBRIDGE is transferred from Class A to Class C. 18th Jan. 1933.

Air Ministry,
    7th March, 1933.
    The notification in the Gazette of 7th Feb. 1933 concerning Flight Lieutenant John Bell STOCKBRIDGE is cancelled.

The London Gazette
    TUESDAY, 13 JUNE, 1933
    Gazette entry does not appear, but presumably amends the entry of 7 Feb 33.

Regards, Terry

Thanks

Terry,
    very many thanks for this and the other information on Wrinch, it took me ages to find one of his entries! Hopefully one day I will be able to give help with information on the forum, at the moment I am a little isolated out in Qatar!

Rick

Thanks

Hi, I have also found entries for a Sqn Leader(1 Oct 1942), Wing Commander (25 Feb 1944) and Group Captain (31 Aug 1954) J.B.Stockbridge (08132) - could this be the same man? He retires on 10th Feb 1954, I notice that in 1932 JB Stockbridge was promoted to F/Lt. A conincidence, maybe? He was general duties branch, a pilot to old to fly? Maybe he was an instructor, any ideas?

Cheers,
    Rick

Thanks

Yes same chap.

His return to the colours on 1st Sept 1939 was for the General Duties branch rather than Technical or Admin so he was not initially destined to be either an Adjudant or Engineering Officer.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.