Thread: Nos 1, 24 and 26 Air Schools (South Africa)

Thanks

Default Nos 1, 24 and 26 Air Schools (South Africa)

Looking for information on O. G. Gronning who was trained at these schools. From service record I have the following:

24.02.43 to No. 24 AS (Cas. Form confirmg. arrival, 4/43)
    03.04.43 to No. 1 AS (Cas. Form confirmg. arrival, 13/43)
    14.12.43 to No. 26 AS

Two questions:
    - is it possible to find records (mentioning individuals) for these schools?
    - what is the meaning of "Cas. Form." in the form?

TIA

Mikkel Plannthin
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Via the list of NA references for ground units that Chris Pointon has provided, I have been able to reach the NA references for the 3 schools being:

1 AS - AIR 54/161
    24 AS - AIR 54/168
    26 AS - AIR 54/170

Would anyone know the nature of these files? My interest is if they hold information on individuals.

Regards

Mikkel Plannthin
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War

Thanks

Mikkel,
    "Cas. Form" is abbreviation for Casualty Form, which was a form generated by all RAF self-recording units almost from time immemorial, which despite the name, recorded all "happenings" which occurred in that unit over that month. I believe the Casualty Form was inherited from the British Army, although the Royal Navy must have had an equivalent form. "Happenings" which would appear on a Casualty Form would include deaths, injuries, postings in an out, attachments, promotions and reversions, appointments, commisionings and awards, marriages, etc. Part way through WW2 the POR (Personnel Occurrence Report) replaced the Casualty Form to all intents and purposes. Thus the Cas report and the POR formed an important part in the overall administration of the RAF (or any other Commonwealth air force using the same or similar forms.
    David D

Thanks

Thank you David

Mikkel