Thread: Sgt Greville Esnouf- 35 squadron

Thanks

Default Sgt Greville Esnouf- 35 squadron

I am researching into the history of my Husband's cousin Greville Esnouf who was KIA during a raid on the Scharnhorst in 1941. I came accross an old posting from 2006 by a Tom Williams who was also researching Greville's history and was looking for material for an exhibition/memorial for a museum in the Saundersfoot area. I would be grateful if Mr Williams could contact me - or anyone who has information. I would be particularly interested to find outinformation about fellow crew members - i believe some survived and were made POWs
    Anuy information gratefully received.

Thanks

Madame,
    Quote from Bill Chorley's Bomber Command Losses Vol.2, page 100:
    Halifax Mk.I serial L9527 of 35 Squadron (coded TL-M) crashed near Angles, Dept. Vendée, about 15 km WSW of Lucon. Also killed and buried same cemetery:
    F/Sgt (Pilot) Clarence A. GODWIN - 745859;
    Sgt (Flt Eng) Conrad H. NEWSTEAD - 567204;
    Sgt (WOp) Reginald T. RUDLIN - 912084, and
    F/Sgt (Airgunner) Sidney H.J. SHIRLEY - 804422.
    Two crew members were taken into captivity:
    P/O (Nav) Arthur G. EPERON - 84713 (NCO nr 759159), and
    Sgt (Airbomber) Eric O.T. BALCOMB - 968379.

Good luck with your further research.
    Henk.

Thanks

Thank you so much for you quick response. Information gratefully received.

Thanks

I realise this is an old thread but hope there may still be life in it. Lady Anita Did you meet with success in your quest?

I am keen to contact, on behalf of the Mayor of Angles, any descendants or relatives of the crew members listed above by Henk Welting. This is the context of a Ceremony in July 2016 to mark the 75th Anniversary of the crash.

I can be contacted initially through this Site

Thanks

I will publish an appeal on my No. 35 Squadron website for you. If you need any information about the crew's time with the squadron, please contact me.

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Many thanks Pete.
    Interestingly I found an Internet reference to Pilot Officer Arthur Eperon in 2005 - died in 2000. He was a travel writer after the war. The mention set my memory cells in train and I found we have had one of his books since the mid-80s.

Thanks

Sorry Pete meant to add - yes anything you can give me re the Crew would be gratefull accepted. My e-address is df94d@hotmail.com

I am also keen to contact any former OC from post-war days who might be interested in coming next year to represent the Squadron link. Internet has found me AVM Baldwin but you may know of others. have you any phone numbers or e-addresses?

Thanks

I do not have any contact details for the OC's but I will add the request to the appeal for you.

I will also piece together a document for you with any information that I have.

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]