Thread: Crash location Hurricane L1803 Aug 1940

Thanks

Default Crash location Hurricane L1803 Aug 1940

Hello all,

Does anyone have the ORB for No.263 Squadron for 24th August 1940 to hand?

I'm looking for the details on the night flight and crash of Hurricane L1803 flying from RAF Grangemouth which was abandoned by P/O D Stein. (Henk, you had this aircraft on your list but I can confirm the pilot was safe).

A-B gives the location as near Bainsford, Wynne and BofB MkV give over Grangemouth Docks.

Both Wynne and BoB MkV state that he was arrested on landing which suggests his parachute descent ended up in or near the dock security zone which is much closer to the aerodrome than Bainsford.

I'm curious to know what the ORB recorded.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Hi Ross,

Form 540 simply states:

25/08/40 A Hurricane which P/O Stein was flying, caught fire. The pilot baled out and landed safely in Grangemouth Docks. The aircraft was destroyed.

It definatley states 25/08 on the form.

I don't have Form 541 yet. Maybe that has more details.

Regards,

Alex

Thanks

Ross,
    Flight Safety.org also gives Bainsford on 24th August

Thanks

Magic Alex,

With the flight details from the F.541 I think I may be able to close a 35+ year mystery for me. (It was a night training flight so 24/25th with reported overdue on 25th)

Back in the 1970s as a spotty teenager I heard about an aircraft wreck out on the mudflats between Skinflats and the Kincardine Bridge. After what seemed an age then (probably about a month) I made contact with a bridge officer from the Forth Ports buoy maintence vessel who went duck hunting on the mudflats in his spare time.

When the tides and weather were suitable he took a group of my friends out onto the mud at low water to the debris area. We picked up small fragments of internal wiring and one small piece of what looked like wing or tailplane rib. I remember that the bridge officer was sitting on the prop boss (3 stumps of broken off wooden? blades) smoking his pipe as we skated around on the mud.

The "rib" was untarnished by the years and when tested by archimedes principle in the school science lab was close to the weight for stainless steel.

It was trying to find an identity for this wreck that started me on the research path that I still enjoy today.

For years I ignored the stainless information and since it clearly was not Spitfire attributed the wreck to the Lanc which broke up over the Bridge. However when working on my Hurricane I realised that the attachment plate for the fuselage tubes onto the main spar was the stainless steel "rib" that I had tested all those years ago.

The two Hurricanes that collided at Sauchie were too far away from the crash site, P3305 was a possible if NW but not if the recorded NE was correct, leaving L1803 as the prime candidate.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.

Thanks

Hi Ross,

Glad I could help. Patience always wins in the end.

Can you post what it says on Form 541.

Alex

Thanks

Thanks Ross for your info on STEIN and Hurricane L1803.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Hi
    From Sq Orb

'On the 25th, P/O Stein was also forced to abandon his aircraft (a Hurricane) by parachute. While he was over Grangemouth his oil pressure fell to zero, and the aircraft caught fire. He descended safely and landed in Grangemouth Docks. He was also taken into custody, but was later released.'

note

'also' as used above is refering to an earlier whirlwind loss.

Cheers
    Jerry

Thanks

Cheers Jerry,

I've had my theory about which direction he would have drifted downwind after jumping confirmed by Brian.

Your note from the ORB about oil failure then fire explains why even when he was within the aerodrome circuit and in sight of the flarepath he abandoned rather than attempted to force land on the 'drome.

I'm confident the Hurricane fell onto the mudflats and Stein landed by parachute in the surrounds of the dock.

The entire port area was a restricted area from 1939 and would explain his arrest until he could prove he was RAF.

Regards
    Ross