Thread: deciphering training school roles

Thanks

Default deciphering training school roles

Hi all
    Can anyone give details of the various things each posting below would have taught an airman on his way through training. ie square bashing etc

I have a fair Idea but he seems to go to several performing the same function!Also he seems to spend longer at some than is normal.

JOINED UP 3.10.40 as an ac2 travelled from Euston, London to
    No2 reception centre at Cardington [for medicals etc? ]
    ]
    then went on to No 7 reception centre at Morecombe in Lancashire on 14.10.40

stayed there until15.11.40

when he moved to RAF Scampton in Lincolnshire,[What was he doing here?]

four months later he moved to 9R.W. Morecombe [15.3.41][thanks Errol and Pavel]

Then on to 10 ITW [Initial Training wing] At Scarborough on 17.5.41. i

He then went on to 4 A.O.S [air observers school]. At West Freugh .20.1.42 [thats an obvious one]

Any help much appreciated
    Nick

Thanks

Nick,
    I can only speak from immediate post-war National Service experience but it may help.
    The initial, basic, medical would probably have been done at the Recruiting Centre (Upright?, Warm?, Breathing?!!!). Once you got to Cardington you were deemed to be “IN”. There you got your initial Kit Issue (uniforms, boots, mess-tins, knife/fork/spoon , and a large mug, etc, etc), and a cardboard box to send your civilian clothes back to your Next of Kin. You would also get several haircuts!!! There may have been further medicals (and ‘jabs’) to decide if there were any areas of the world you couldn’t serve in, and your possibility as aircrew.
    Don’t know what they did at Morecombe, but 4 weeks should have been enough to teach the rudiments of basic foot drill, saluting, etc, - and even, maybe, basic rifle drill.
    At Scampton yr man would probably have been an ACH(GD) – Aircraft Hand (General Duties) – i.e. a ‘gash bod’ who could be sent to the Cookhouse, Stores, or cleaning aircraft, sweeping the hangar floor, etc, – or any other task that needed doing!!
    1940 to early 1950's is quite some time but the RAF didn't change all that much. Square Bashing was still Square Bashiing and you learned that the most fearsome creature on the planet was a Station Warrant Officer!
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Thanks Peter
    Any Idea what he would be doing for 2 months in Morecombe?That they did not do at Scarborough?
    Nick