Thread: 24/04/1945, F/Lt de Patoul, 350 Sqn, shotdown and made POW

Thanks

Default 24/04/1945, F/Lt de Patoul, 350 Sqn, shotdown and made POW

On 24/04/1945, between 19.00 and 20.05, 350 Sqn performed a Sweep in the area Wismar - Rostock - Rethem. The Squadron encountered Fw-190's, S/Ldr Walsmley got one destroyed and F/Lt de Patoul one probable before he was shot down himselve and made POW.
    Can someone tell me which Luftwaffe unit 350 Sqn encountered on that evening and who claimed the kill on F/Lt de Patoul. How many losses did that unit get during this encounter?

Any info regarding this would be greatful

Best regards,

Serge

Thanks

Serge,

The diary of 350 squadron on http://www.350sqn.be/index.html, indicates de Patoul was hit by flak.

24/04/1945
    S/Ldr H. Walmsley, Flight CO of 130 (Punjab) Squadron, takes over the command of 350. In the afternoon, a He-111 is shot down by P/O D. Watkins and A. Van Eeckhoudt, executing an Armed Recce. in the sector Rostock - Pritzwalk. The same evening a Sweep in the region of Wismar sees the CO destroying a Fw-190, as did his wingman, F/Lt G. de Patoul. A few minutes later G. de Patoul is hit by flak off of Blankensee airfield and has to bail out near Ratzeburg, making him POW and also the last loss of the Squadron on operations.

Regards
    Martyn

Thanks

Hello,

I think this is Serge's site ! He'll probably confirm himself.

The subject has already been discussed, but the Luftwaffe archives for the last stages of WW2 are anything but complete. They were just struggling to survive, and probably didn't have much time for admin duties.

Probably better to post this query on TOCH or another Luftwaffe oriented site

Joss

Thanks

Hello Martin and Joss

The diary indeed says that de Patoul was hit by Flak. Other official documents mentions that he was shot down. That's what I'm trying to find out now.
    I just discovered that the Fw-190 they encountered came from JG26.

Thank you both for your reaction

Best regards,

Serge