Thread: #9 (o) A.F.U. Penrhos Nth Wales May/June 1942

Thanks

Default #9 (o) A.F.U. Penrhos Nth Wales May/June 1942

Hi All,
    Following on from my previous post on the same subject, I am requiring some help to determine the records of the following airmen.
    1. Ted Gray RNZAF.
    2. Norm Cunningham RNZAF.
    3. Chips Woods RNZAF.
    4. Tom Caracavich RAAF (spelling seems questionable I've tried variations of the spelling but to no avail)
    5. Rolly White RNZAF.
    The problem I have is that Dad has used Nicknames to identify these men which creates a search and query problem for me. If I contact NZ Defence and give these names as they stand, the reply I would expect is "how long is a piece of string!!!"
    Does anyone have access to the ORB or Mustering information for the above station at that particular time. It would appear as though this will be my best chance of sorting out the problem I have. Any help with this matter would be much appreciated.
    Regards,
    Rob Jerram

Thanks

Rob,

1. Ted Gray RNZAF.
    Quite possibly NZ412878 Gray, Edward Henry

2. Norm Cunningham RNZAF.
    Almost certainly NZ404594 Cunningham, Norman (this is his full name)

3. Chips Woods RNZAF.
    Quite possibly NZ412375 Woods, Ian Selwyn Jack

5. Rolly White RNZAF.
    Most likely this man (from Colin Hanson's 'By Such Deeds'):
    WHITE, Flying Officer Cecil Roland, DFC.
    NZ412913; Born Opotiki, 20 Dec 1919; RNZAF 11 May 1941 to 6 Oct 1944; Wireless Operator-Air Gunner.
    Citation Distinguished Flying Cross (22 Apr 1943): [150 Sqn RAF (Wellington)] Flying Officer White has completed many operational sorties with outstanding ability. His continual devotion to duty under difficult conditions, and fine example have materially contributed to the success achieved by his squadron. Fg Off White flew 25 sorties against North African targets, during Oct 1942-Apr 1943, before returning to NZ.

Errol

Thanks

Hi Errol,
    The "piece of string" just got considerably shorter due to your efforts. My thanks to you for your contribution to my endeavors once again. It is much appreciated. Hopefully only one to go, that being Tom Caracavich RAAF and Dad's spelling of his name may be questionable. The variations I have tried to date haven't worked but I will get there eventually.
    Regards,
    Rob Jerram.

Thanks

Hi Rob,

Harking back to your man, 'Tom Caracavich'. I'm afraid l have to admit defeat on this one!

Despite extensive searches at the NAA (where searches are more productive than the Nominal Roll, through the use of 'wild cards' etc.), the only RAAF man that comes anywhere near your 'TC' is, 27805 Sgt Jack CIRACOVITCH RAAF. I believe Ciracovitch never left Australia during WWII.

I suspect you need to look elsewhere (other than the RAAF), for Caracavich.

Keep searching,

Col.

NB. Always keep in mind that the Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA) (who financed the compilation of the RAAF Nominal Roll), offered vets the option of having their names deleted from the Roll. Unfortunately,more than a few, did exactly that!
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 25th August 2009 at 04:18. Reason: minor correction

Thanks

Hi Col,
    Thanks for your effort. I remember Ciracovitch from my search, from South Australia if I remember correctly, he enlisted in Adelaide. I searched through the Nominal Role by place of enlistment and I had very tired eyes by the time I got through everything. If you have an email address (I will check your membership profile) I will send you a copy of photo. You can tell the difference between RNZAF and RAAF uniforms, RAAF being the darker shade, also Tom Caracavich as Dad spelt it was one of two P/O's, the other was Rolly White RNZAF,all the others were Sgt's.
    I need to get a copy of the Penrhos ORB for that time period as I think that's going to be the only plausible answer, another thing on the wish list.

Regards,
    Rob Jerram.