Thread: Data Protection Act

Thanks

Default Data Protection Act

Hi All

There have recently beeen a number of discussions about TNA and AHB stating that they will not be able to supply copies of certain documents due to the restrictions of the above.

I have just read the introduction to the Act for another purpose and noted the following definition: -

“personal data” means data which relate to a living individual

To me this means that a lot of the information we are interested in is not covered by this Act.

Any other thoughts?

Malcolm

Thanks

Malcolm,
    The DPA is the first line of defence for Organisations and/or Govt Depts when they either do not wish to disclose, or do not have the staff/facilities to do the work, or couldn't care less. The next line of defence is FOI. Both need to be challenged. But then the Org/Dept will delay and obfuscate for as long as possible. You and I are "poachers". I spent part of my formal career helping the "gamekeepers". I know what goes on!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Peter

Valid point.

Malcolm

Thanks

During the consultation about the transfer of the service records held by the MOD to Kew the MOD stated:

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/C58C6252-8109-4D55-A8B1-1AAFA6F4BAC2/0/transfer_records_tna.pdf

"The service records....potentially contain data which is subject to the provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA98) and related legislation, including the Human Rights Act 1998 which incorporated the European Convention on Human Rights into English law. DPA98 applies to all living individuals and covers all personal data. But information about the deceased which is made publicly available can impact on living members of the deceased’s family and might, if released, be in breach of Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights (right for respect of private and family life). Although not an exhaustive list, data which may fall into this latter category includes information about the deceased’s physical or mental health, sexual activity and whether they have committed or been accused of committing an offence."

The good news is that the consultation resulted in the MOD accepting that files should be transferred to Kew and then released. The bad news is that:

1) this will take quite a while
    2) recent discussions about the cutbacks at Kew probably means that even info that should be released probably won't be unless one can visit in person

And by principle, Kew seems to err on the side of caution - using the 100 year rule just to be on the safe side, until challenged.

A

Thanks

Amrit,
    Exactly what I was talking about. MoD want to reduce the costs of answering questions so they invoke all sorts of smoke-screens. Then they hit on the clever ploy of transferring the Records to TNA. So what do TNA do? They cut staff!!
    The Files referring to the sinking of HMT Lancastria were decreed (by Churchill, I think) to be Closed for 100 years. Why? Answer; to save Govt embarrassment! What Law were they Closed under? It's 70-odd years since the Lancastria disaster. Time enough for the panic of that event (and many others in WW2) to have subsided. But are the "Sir Humphrey's" still intent on denying historians access to the facts? Answer - Yes!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Sir Humphrey - and the Sir Humphreys of this world - have a lot to answer for!

I also find it odd the way rules differ from country to country. In Canada, personnel files are open if the man in question has been deceased for a specific period, and in Australia all WWII personnel files are open to the public regardless (though examined before release for the type of sensative information referred to by Amrit), so why do we have no access whatsoever here in the UK?! Frustrating...!

Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amrit View Post
    2) recent discussions about the cutbacks at Kew probably means that even info that should be released probably won't be unless one can visit in person
    I may well be wrong here, but I suspect that some service records have already been scanned/digitised. In the case of my grandfather, I received four pages of A3 - his NCO service record F543 appears to be a printed image rather than photocopied - it is in colour and includes a number and bar-code on a TNT sticker. His Officer's Service Record F1406 is a simple black-and-white photocopy.

I would hazard a guess that at least some service records would be made available via Documents Online.

Regards,

Jeff