Thread: CWGC Casualty lists

Thanks

Default CWGC Casualty lists

From time to time I am finding age, home town and next-of-kin (either or all) missing from the on line CWGC casualty lists. This always puzzles me as these facts are surely known from the servicemans or servicewomans records? Is there a simple explaination? And if missing facts are rediscovered during present day research, whats the form in correcting? Thank you

Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 27th August 2009 at 20:53. Reason: correcting spelling error

Thanks

Hi Norman,

When that happens with the records that I have been getting from Canada, it usually means the information wasn't on the airman's death registration, although not always.

I just had a look at the CWGC site and they say they will make corrections to any file, once they see the documentation and get permission from the person's national service arm.

But I know there are others here who have been through the exercise, so hopefully they will have a more complete answer for you.
    David

Thanks

Norman,

"age, home town and next-of-kin"

This information came from next of kin who completed a form sent to them by the CWGC. Not all responded for various reasons, hence gaps in the CWGC register.

Errol

Thanks

Norman,

I have been looking into the awards of Mentions in Despatches (M.I.D) to aircrew KIA. A very large number of them do not have the award listed by the cwgc !

An example looking at the crews of 97 Sqn who flew on the famous Augsburg raid 17/4/42. All the crews members who were not decorated for this mission, received M.I.Ds LG 1/1/43 including crew members killed on the raid and men later decorated.

As far as I can see only a handful of these men have their MID recorded by the cwgc ! Also it seems MIDs were not awarded to 44 Sqn crew members who flew on this mission ?

Mark

Thanks

Hello Errol,
    From understanding that the casualties next-of-kin were sent a form to complete, could I clarify that the onus was therefore on the next-of-kin to supply the information beyond the casualties 'number, rank & name? Its hard for me to understand this was acceptable to the CWGC ? But perhaps when carrying out the post war creation of wargraves and war memorials, the casualties unit had been disbanded and there was no way of knowing where to start searching records etc. Also, the next-of-kin would supply their latest address although it may not be where the casualty came from, that I can understand. Its the other missing facts that I'm still puzzled over and the dependency on the casualty n.o.k. reponses. I fear I may be missing something fairly obvious about the recording of casualties. Thank you for your information.
    Norman

Hello Mark,
    Thank you for your information. I know too little about M.I.Ds to make worthwhile comment though I understood citations were not published in the London Gazzette. Whether this was the reason for ommissions I dont know. The father of a friend of mine was a good friend of Sqn Ldr Penman, based somewhere in Lincolnshire on a Lancaster squadron. I'm almost certain he was on the Augsburg raid. Was it a ball-bearing factory?
    Norman

Hello Dave,
    Thank you for the information
    Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 28th August 2009 at 19:12. Reason: minor punctuation corrections

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by namrondooh View Post
    Hello Errol,
    From understanding that the casualties next-of-kin were sent a form to complete, could I clarify that the onus was therefore on the next-of-kin to supply the information beyond the casualties 'number, rank & name? Its hard for me to understand this was acceptable to the CWGC ? But perhaps when carrying out the post war creation of wargraves and war memorials, the casualties unit had been disbanded and there was no way of knowing where to start searching records etc. Also, the next-of-kin would supply their latest address although it may not be where the casualty came from, that I can understand. Its the other missing facts that I'm still puzzled over and the dependency on the casualty n.o.k. reponses. I fear I may be missing something fairly obvious about the recording of casualties. Thank you for your information.
    Norman

Norman
    Norman,

I image that the CWGC form would have served two purposes: (a) verifying if those particular details as held on the casualty's service record were correct and (b) seeking the nok's permission to publish the information.

Errol

Thanks

Norman
    I've often puzzled over the lack of a particular serviceman's age & next of kin on the CWGC certificate .Even men who were married .Yet many have age ,parents, wife [if married] & hometown & this is very helpful when I'm searching for relatives.

My RAAF father's CWGC certificate is detailed .I'll ask my mother if she or my grandfather received such a form, as Errol mentions, from the CWGC [if she can remember ?] but this information is on my father's service records.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/certificate.aspx?casualty=1532837

Anne

Thanks

Default I got my cousins

CWG records updated by sending all the information to CWG that I had. I was told that the nok sheet was sent to his last address (his wifes) but she was bombed out and had moved they did not send it to his parents. If you have particular information that you want updated and have the docs to support it including MID's etc then send it to CWG. By the way they are also going to upgrade his headstone shortly I got an email today - pity I am in NZ and the grave is in UK ;-) So it is possible to get the info added too.

Dyan