Thread: Anyone heading for Kew soon?

Thanks

Default Anyone heading for Kew soon?

Hi all,

Several members of the forum have been trying to help with this one but have so far come up empty. If anyone is going to the archives in the near future, would it be possible to ask for a bit of help in the evaders' files?

I am looking for F/Sgt. Kenneth G. Davis, RCAF R117353, 83 Sqn, who may have baled out somewhere over enemy territory between Dec 1942 and 7 Apr 1943 when he turned up at RAF Portreath, probably on a 179 Sqn flight from Gibraltar.

We have been unable to find his name in the usual lists (Clutton-Brock) or a BC loss that matches, or any record in the No. 1 OADU ORB - but the fact that his service record has him briefly at Portreath arriving from 179 Sqn suggests that's what happened.

Hugh Halliday is going to look for clues in his file in Ottawa too but apparently they don't have copies of the evader reports.

If anyone has the ORB for 179 Sqn, that would also be a help.

Thanks in advance.
    David

Thanks

Hello Dave,

Can I confirm you do mean the UK National Achives? The reason I ask is would a RCAF airmens 'Liberation or Evader' report be held in UK? If this is so, can you supply the NA record reference number or series number?

Norman

Thanks

Hello,

Norman, you can find in the WO208 series of evasion reports documents filed by evaders who belonged to the ground forces (the first volumes are filled by them, litterally), and airmen from the R.A.F., R.A.A.F., R.C.A.F., R.N.Z.A.F., and other from the occupied countries such as Poland, Czecoslovackia (did I spell it right ?), Belgium, France, Norway, etc... As long as these people were within reach of IS9, they filed an evasion report.

Joss

Thanks

Thanks Norman, Joss,

Hugh Halliday tells me he doesn't expect to see an evasion report in Davis' file since he was RCAF - and he has certainly seen enough files to know.

Although Joss has advised me offline that there isn't an evader's report for Davis in WO208, I could still use some help in the way of a lookup in the ORB of 179 Sqn. I understand some of these ORBs from other theatres did not survive. Does anyone know if this is the case for 179 Sqn in Gibraltar? Is there an ORB available?
    David

Thanks

Hello

An ORB is available at TNA. The reference is AIR 27/1126 for September to December 1942, AIR 27/1127 for the year 1943. Appendix AIR 27/1129 covers October 1942 to December 1944.

I don't know the content of this ORB.

Joss

Thanks

Thanks very much Joss.
    David