Thread: 15-16 July 1944 Nevers raid

Thanks

Default 15-16 July 1944 Nevers raid

Dear all,

I need confirmation on a few details of the 15/16 July 1944 Nevers raid:

-How many a/c participated in this attack, when exactly did the bombing take place, and was the loss of 207 Squadron Lancaster ME807 and 467 Squadron Lancaster ME851 at Lignieres-de-Touraine due to a mid-air collision?

Looking forward to any information!

Cheers, Theo

Thanks

Theo

according to Bomber Command War Diaries "222 Lancasters and 7 Mosquitoes attacked railway yards at Chalons-sur-Marne and Nevers." 2 Lancasters lost on the Nevers raid.

Chorley's BC Losses shows Lancaster ME807 EM - S from 207 Sqn and Lancaste ME851 PO-B from 467 Sqn as both coming down at Lignieres-de-Touraine, no survivors but doesnt state if this was as a result of a mid air collision.

Rgds

Daz

Thanks

Hi Theo,
    From 467 RAAF ORB; Lancaster 1, ME 851, bombing Nevers, take off 2219, aircraft missing no messages or signals received.
    Crew as follows; F/O Murphy W B J, Sgt Goode E C W, F/O Ewen J A (Aus 423689), Flt/Sgt Wright W H E (Aus 422342), Flt/Sgt Paul W (Aus 423870), Flt/Sgt Paterson D A (Aus 427726), Flt/Sgt Jenkins A M (Aus 424764).
    And from ORB 16th July F/L Murphy failed to return this morning, and no messages or signals were received from him at all. He had only just received his acting Flight Lieutenant and his loss will be severly felt as he had a well above average crew.
    Captain F/O W B J Murphy/ Flt /Lt acting J.28935.
    This is all from site http://www.467463raafsquadrons.com/ which is an excellent and most informative site, has all the information you would need. Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Rob Jerram.

Thanks

Hi Rob and Daz,

Cheers & thanks for the info, but I'm still looking for info that could confirm a collision as the cause of loss of these two Lancasters!

Theo

Thanks

Hi Theo,

There were five RAAF aircrew on ME851, and one on ME807 but none of the
    files have been digitised on the NAA site.
    Infact ME851 is wrongly listed as MF85
    I have a note in my files saying "In 1946 a letter from the Gendarmerie at Azy-le-Rideau refers to the two crashes are due to a collision".
    Unfortunately I have not noted the source. I will see if I can locate it.

Regards,
    Wayne.

Thanks

Hi Theo,
    From the Commune de Lignieres de Touraine Web Site quote...."on July 16th 1944 two British aircraft collided over Marnay. Fifteen English and Australian airmen lie buried in Lignieres cemetery". I would suggest that these are the two crews we have been discussing, crew of 467 had 7 members and 207 crew had 8 members. If you contact the site http://www.ot-paysazaylerideau.com/anglais/fiches-communes/p-lignieres.htm you should be able to get the full details.

Regards,
    Rob Jerram.

Thanks

Hi Rob,

Thanks for confirming, I have meanwhile also had confirmation of a collision as the cause of loss of these two a/c, from RAAF Personnel records.

Cheers, Theo