Thread: Spam Runs

Thanks

Default Spam Runs

Hello everyone hope all is well,

I cannot remember where I read something about spam runs, well it wasn't a description or in fact a full blown write up just something like "went on spam run" and since then I have wondered what it refers to?

I would like to know what it was and where it took place or was it a flippant remark by aircrew for some mundane op they wish they didnt have to do. If it wasn't a flippant remark and it concerns something of a serious nature then I apologise.

Also if this subject has been discussed before I then apologise for going over old ground.

Regards.

Steve.

Thanks

Hello Steve

Is there a possibility spam run refers to spoof raids also known as diversion operations?

Leslie

Thanks

Provisions? Perhaps it refers to dropping Spam. In the China-Burma-India theatre the US Combat Cargo Squadrons often flew loads of rations/medical supplies with little or no ammunition, depending on what the Chindits needed. Very often the loads were made up from US stocks, which resulted in the British ground troops getting an unexpected change of diet from Bully Beef.

Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Hi Leslie and Dennis,

Thanks for the suggestions. I was googling with suggestions for food drops world war 2 and came across something which might be on the right track, well its a start anyway.

It was in a style of a local paper and it stated that food drops were carried out by RAF Lancasters on 29/4/45 to Rotterdam which was cut off by the Germans and the local population was desperate for food.

Maybe I am guessing but could this have been the mentioned "Spam Runs". Like I said it could be just a comment within aircrew for these type of operations.

Any suggestions welcome.

Kindest Regards.

Steve.

Thanks

As a rider to my post it was called Operation Manna to help the starving Dutch people in late April/May 1945.

If I read some more then perhaps Spam Runs might turn up.

Thanks

Hi Steve and all who have contributed to this query,
    The site to look at is www.waramos.ca/military/video/wwii/pdf/bokh.pdf
    The heading for the above was The Boys Of Kelvin High Part 1 Introduction.
    My search query was Spam (food) runs Rotterdam raf ww2 which brought up the above.
    Quote from the above..." we flew over the North Sea fairly low and had dropped down to around 500 feet over Rotterdam. We lined up and opened the Bomb doors. The American Force also made a large contribution to these Spam and Jam trips as we called them. We all agreed it was the best raid of the war". Words of Joe English 625 Squafdron, Pilot RAF.
    It was indeed part of Operation Manna.
    Hope this is of help. The entire pdf file is well worth reading.

Regards,
    Rob Jerram.

Thanks

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply and it sums it up to a tee. Spam and Jam Runs, so as it seems it was a phrase used between the squadrons used to provide the relief of Dutch towns and cities during late April early May 1945.

I was wondering which squadrons were assigned to this task or were there no special assignment for this humanitarian operation?

Thanks again Rob, brilliant.

Regards.

Steve.

Thanks

Default Spam Runs

Hi Steve

We called it Operation Manna. The Americans called it Operation Chowhound.

Can't remember the name now but there was a book written about this some years back (of that name?). I saw a 'seconds' copy once up at Midland Counties and regret not buying it now. You might be able to find an old copy via Abebooks or something similar.

Sorry I can't be more precise. No doubt one of our esteemed colleagues will be able to help you more.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks

Hi Steve/Ian,
    Googled Operation Chowhound and came up with following;
    Operation Manna/Chowhound published by Midland Publishing 31 December 1994. Hard cover format. ISBN 10; 0904597792 and ISBN 13; 9780904597790 Subject airforces and warfare. There are many references to both on internet.

Regards,
    Rob Jerram.