Thread: Canadian Archives

Thanks

Default Canadian Archives

Can anyone tell me if the Canadian Archives work along the same lines as the Australian equivilent; in that it is possible to get casualty files digitised and posted on line for a small fee? Or are the RCAF files of wartime aircrew still restricted an only accessible to NOK? I had a look on their website but couldnt find anything concerning aircrew records.

Thanks

Daz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 78SqnHistory View Post
    Can anyone tell me if the Canadian Archives work along the same lines as the Australian equivilent; in that it is possible to get casualty files digitised and posted on line for a small fee? Or are the RCAF files of wartime aircrew still restricted an only accessible to NOK? I had a look on their website but couldnt find anything concerning aircrew records.

Thanks

Daz
    Hi Daz,

No, the files are not digitized and they have no plans to do so (as of April 2009, anyway).

All WWII KIA files are open to anybody who wishes to see them:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/war-dead/001056-100.01-e.php

If you are looking to access files of anyone who survived the war you must show proof of death plus 20 years.

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/genealogy/022-909.007-e.html

We here have all been saying there is a four month delay in their response given their workload.

However, I received a form letter from them Friday saying that the wait can now be up to EIGHT months.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Dave

thank you, at the moment I'm mainly interested in casualty files, so I'll have a look at the link you posted.
    thanks again

Daz