Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Form 1180 abreviations

Thanks

Default Form 1180 abreviations

Hi,
    Can anyone help out with these abbrev's on Form 1180's which are in the boxes adjoining the following
    Pilot..... DOM, CON, FOR.
    Solo and Night, LOC, ACF, PSU, PCDE, ET, MC PC.
    Instruction and Link...UOK, AOK.
    TIA......Alan.
    Last edited by AlanW; 30th August 2009 at 16:30.

Thanks

Hi Alan,

unfortunately I am not able to help you with these abbreviations but I will be also glad if we will be able to make together the description of the whole Form 1180 from buts and pieces which anybody has.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

Hi Alan:
    I'd guess at 'Dom'inion and 'For'eign for pilot. From my collection it looks like the form changed format late 1943 or early 1944 - yours appears to be the earlier version. Agree with Paval - would be useful to compile what we can.
    Best regards:
    Robert

Thanks

Pavel/Rob,
    Thanks for the replies, the one i have is for Dec 43. It's strange but, of all the 1180's i have, it seems that all i was ever interested in was the actual result of the investigation, never once thought of what the abbreviations stood for, and i expect a lot of other people thought the same way. Have also tried googling for information and it seems that there are a others looking for the same answers, but unfortunatley there are none. The RAF Museum supplies a list of what they decribe as Common Abbreviations used on forms 78 and 1180, but unfortunatley they do not cover the ones mentioned.
    Regards......Alan.

Thanks

I've only ever seen b&w photocopies of RAF Form 1180. Were the small circles/holes around the border to do with 'punch-card operation'?
    Norman

Thanks

Default Kalamazoo

Yes Norman I think you are correct I am sure I remember staff at Hendon using the term "Kalamazoo system" but I do not know if that is strictly correct.

My understanding is that the RAF wanted to analyse accidents in as many ways as possible in order to be able to identify problematic themes: the same problems with certain a/c types; same problems with the same components on a/c; same problems with flying skills in relation to training; same problems with flying conditions etc. The Form 1180 was not completed locally by the RAF unit or station they submitted a different type of report (can't find the number at the moment Form 765?) and these reports were analysed into the coding on Form 1180 somewhere in the bowels of the Air Ministry.

Steve
    Last edited by SteveBrooking; 31st August 2009 at 15:01. Reason: very serious digit trouble of the irremovable kind

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

Steve:
    Have been told by a reliable source that aircraft accidents were initially reported by signal, with the details being confirmed by copies of the two-sided Form 765. The F.765 data was used to produce the Form 1180. It would appear that there is no surviving file of F.765s although my contact found one at a garage sale. It contains more detail than we normally see on the F.1180s.
    Regards:
    Robert

Thanks

Hi,
    Can confirm what Robert say's about the 765's, i wrote to AHB enquiring about them some years ago and they informed me that they had been destroyed.

Thanks

I was under the impression that AOK and UOK stood for:

Airframe OK and Undercarriage OK, but not 100% sure where I got this info from originally.

Jim
    Jim Corbett

Thanks

Hello Pavel,

If I may make a suggestion. In order to achieve your suggestion of building a list of all abbreviations used on the Form 1180, perhaps a alphabetical or sectioned list could be compiled and posted then as each abbreviation is solved it could be added to the list? Hopefully, when complete it could be a useful reference for now and later when reaching the archives, easier to extract rather then scattered answers here and there? Alas, I havent got a copy of the Form 1180 (or Form 785) but seem to remember the abbreviations were on all four sides. Should it help, I would gladly type out the list for you but would first need a clear copy to read. Thank you

Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 31st August 2009 at 19:48. Reason: expanding message