Thread: Mosquitos and aircraft carriers.

Thanks

Default Mosquitos and aircraft carriers.

Were any trials ever conducted landing Mosquitos on aircraft carriers?

Thanks

David,
    Coincidentely, i watched a documentary on the Mosquito the other day, which included it's many roles and variants. It was mentioned that trials were carried out landing them on aircraft carriers but the footage shown appeared to be a Hornet.

Thanks

Default Mossies

Hi David

I'm sure there were 'Sea Mosquitos' as well as (later?) 'Sea Hornets' although I'm not sure whether they were deployed operationally. Will take a look and see what I can find out.

Ian

Thanks

A few snips from "The de Havilland Mosquito" by J.H. Hardy:

"The Mosquito B IVs of 618 Squadron , with the Highball bouncing bomb, had embarked on to carriers in October 1944 for anti-shipping operations ag ainst the Japanese ... did not, in the end, go into action."

Also, the RN developed a carrier based night fighter and torpedo bomber Mosquito:

"FB VI LR359 was modified into the Sea Mosquito TR 33 specification .. with folding wings ... arrestor hook ... and fuselage reinforced for deck landing..."

"The second prototype, LR387 also a converted FB VI, had upward folding wings and was the first true Sea Mosquito."

"In addition to the two modified FB VIs used as prototypes, .. altogether 50 production Sea Mosquito TR 33 were built ... 47 more were cancelled after the war."

"Deck landing trials with a modified FB VI LR 359 .. were carried out on HMS Indefatigable on 25 and 26 March 1944, pilot was Lt-Cmdr E.M. Brown." Of course.

"The first Sea Mosquito squadron was No. 811 ... at Ford, Sussex (HMS Peregrine) from September 1945."

"The TR 33 was succeeded by the TR 37, which differed only in having British radar in a larger radome... Only 14 of this mark were built ..."

No record of deployments on board.

Thanks

Eric Brown landed LR359 on HMS Indefatigable in 1944

http://www.fleetairarmarchive.net/Aircraft/Mosquito.htm

and
    Sea Mosquito

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1946/1946%20-%200399.html