Thread: FW190 downed North of Neuruppin, 20 April 1945

Thanks

Default FW190 downed North of Neuruppin, 20 April 1945

On 20 April 1945, 41 Squadron’s Blue Section was airborne at 14:35 on an armed reconnaissance to the Lübeck-Wittenberg area. At 15:05, they sighted a lone FW190D flying at 1,000 feet in a northerly direction, just north of Neuruppin Aerodrome.

Blue 3 and 4 dived on the aircraft but overshot, and were themselves attacked by the FW190. Blue 5 (Plt. Off. Pat Coleman) then made his own attack on the FW190 from above and behind. He fired a short burst from 200 yards seeing immediate strikes and the 190 broke to port to escape. Coleman followed him around and made a second attack, firing a two-second burst from a distance of 300 yards dead astern. His fire struck the 190 again and the pilot flicked his aircraft into an inverted position, opened his hood and baled out.

The aircraft crashed straight into Binenwalde Lake and the pilot landed in the trees of a wood, bordering the south-easterly lake shore. Coleman claimed the FW190 destroyed.

Can anyone tell me, please, (i) who the pilot and which the unit was, and (ii) where Binenwald Lake might be? This location is given in the Combat Report but Google Earth is not giving me any results on Binen, Binnen, Wald, Wälder, Wäldersee, etc., even though there are countless lakes north of Neuruppin.

Thanks
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Steve,
    On Google Maps, go North from Neuruppin and you will find a small lake called Kalksee, Binenwalde is on the lakeside
    Last edited by AlanW; 31st August 2009 at 18:12.

Thanks

Thanks Alan; most appreciated.
    Found it! Don't understand why I couldn't the first time...?!
    Cheers
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm