Thread: Contacting ex RCAF crew.

Thanks

Default Contacting ex RCAF crew.

Hi,
    Posting on behalf of a lady who would like to try and get in contact with two RCAF crew who flew with her uncle (kia Dec 43) in 408sqdn. They appear to have survived the war, as not listed CWGC. Is there a way of contacting them via offices in Ottawa, or will it be a case of the long haul through telephone books etc. The two concerned are
    R.63852 F.J. Ward and J.20922 R.St Jacques.
    tia......Alan.

Thanks

There is a J P A R St.Jacques on Ross' POW list:

L3 3368 St. Jacques J P A R J/20922 RCAF

A

Thanks

Hi Amrit,
    You have confirmed something i was thinking about Jacques, i had seen his name in "Footprints" which of course does not give service numbers, i did not think of looking at Ross's pow list which does, thanks for that.

Thanks

Just to add that, using the Canadian Gazette, I find that Frederick James WARD (R63852) was promoted 14 July 1944 and new number was J88866.

As St Jacques was a Navigator.

When searching the Canadian Gazette there is no "/" or "." between the letter and the number but there is a space sometimes. A bit hit and miss really.

A

Thanks

WARD, P/O Frederick James (J88866) - Distinguished Flying Cross - No.408 Squadron - Award effective 12 January 1945 as per London Gazette of that date and AFRO 471/45 dated 16 March 1945. Home in North Portal, Saskatchewan; enlisted Toronto, 2 April 1940. Trained at No.2 WS (graduated 7 December 1942) and No.3 BGS (graduated 11 June 1943). Presented 18 October 1947.

Pilot Officer Ward has consistently displayed high qualities of courage and ability. As air gunner he has taken part in numerous sorties, including attacks on such heavily defended targets as Berlin, Stuttgart and Kiel. On one occasion, whilst over Acheres, his aircraft was attacked by several enemy aircraft. Coolly and skilfully, Pilot Officer Ward directed the necessary combat manoeuvres and, in the ensuing fights, shot down one of the attackers. His excellent work contributed materially to the safe return of his aircraft to this country. Pilot Officer Ward is a most vigilant and resolute gunner.

http://airforce.ca/uploads/airforce/2009/07/ALPHA-WA.TWO.html

died 1994

http://www.legionmagazine.com/en/lastpost/details.asp?alpha=W&offset=1400&LastPostData_ID=15 3370