Thread: Mackenzie's Knock - 501 Sqn Hurricane

Thanks

Default Mackenzie's Knock - 501 Sqn Hurricane

Have been reading the late Ken Mackenzie's book 'Hurricane Combat' again.
    Have the historians ever been able to identify the individual 109 he claimed as downed after hitting his Hurricane's wingtip against its tail on October 7, 1940?

Thanks

Default McKenzie October 7, 1940

Hello Tom,

This one hasn't with any degree of certainty. MacKenzie & Hogan certainly shared in the destruction of Meyer's 109E of 2./JG51 that went into the Channel off Sandgate during that engagement. But beyond that, who can tell ?

Thanks

Thanks Peter,
    I guess that you mean that Meyer's 109 isn't the one that Mackenzie said he rammed (i.e. the 'knock' was another attack in the same engagemnet), so if that's correct how many potential candidates for the 'knock' are there?
    I guess that only a few 109 units could have been in the right place at the right time so can it be narrowed down to just a very few individuals?
    Regards,
    Tom

Thanks

Hi Tom, I do not know if it was the same pilot but certain P/O K. W. McKenzie collided also on 25.10.1940 (Hurricane V6806) with another Hurricane of 501 Sq - P/O V. Goth (Hurricane P2903) over Cranbrook and crashed, Staplehurst, Kent.
    P/O MacKenzie bailed out whlie P/O Goth was killed when his plane struck ground in Manor Farm at Staplehurst.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Yes Pavel it is the same man.
    Thanks,,
    Tom

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Allett View Post
    Thanks Peter,
    I guess that you mean that Meyer's 109 isn't the one that Mackenzie said he rammed (i.e. the 'knock' was another attack in the same engagemnet), so if that's correct how many potential candidates for the 'knock' are there?
    I guess that only a few 109 units could have been in the right place at the right time so can it be narrowed down to just a very few individuals?
    Regards,
    Tom
    Tom,

Correct. 'Ebo' MEYER was not the aircraft rammed by MacKENZIE that much is clear. Therefore, accepting MacKENZIE's account verbatim, there seem to be only two possible candidates listed in appropriate German records; a 9./JG27 Bf109E lost in the Channel, and a Bf109E of 9./JG53 abandoned off Boulogne.

Thanks

Hi Peter,
    Thanks for that - very interesting.
    In that case it would appear that those two pilots lived to tell the tale..one rescued by his own side, one captured by 'us'. Of course the chap rescued from the Boulogne incident could have been killed soon afterwards in another fight...I wonder if he ever got to write a combat report about October 7..?
    Tom