Thread: 420709 - Unaccounted airmen - 9-7-1942

Thanks

Default Unaccounted airmen - 9-7-1942

What were the places of death registration for:

A - Died on active service:
    S/Ldr Sidney H. CAVE - 84499 - 2824 Sqn Raf Regt.

B - Nor found in Flight archives:
    Sgt (Pilot) Terence McCORMICK - 590892 (Multiple injuries in flying accident near Ballockneil, Kirkoswald, Ayrshire. Accident reported by Asst Adj RAF Turnberry.)
    Could this have been Beaufort II, DD874 of 5 (C)OTU, listed by Air Britain for 10-7-1942 ?.

C - Previously reported missing believed killed on active service, now presumed "Killed in Action" - Casualty Communiqé # 147 of 27-8-1942.
    F/Sgt Rudolph F. WEST - 143742 (Offrs svcnr for an NCO ?).

D - Proposed aircraft loss:
    Havoc I - BB909 - 1456 Flt - crashed on landing High Ercall.

Regards and thanks for your help.
    Henk.

Thanks

Hi Henk
    Cave, 46, registered at Bromley, Kent
    I'm not sure that I have the right Rudolph F West. CWGC has no age for him but record that he was taken to Ipswich for burial(his wife's home). What I found was aged 56 and registered at Witney Oxfordshire
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Henk,

How strange I was just reading about S/L Sidney Cave the other day in an old edition of Medal News (September 1983) :-

'CO 2824 RAF Regiment based at Biggin Hill. On 9 July 1942 he was taking grenade throwing practice at Westerham ranges Kent, when a grenade was mis-thrown. Cave knowing it had a four-second fuse, grasped the grenade and tried to dispose of it. His action saved three of his men from being killed or injured.

He was recommended for the George Cross by the AOC of Fighter Command ACM Sholto Douglas, but it was not approved and he got only a posthumous Mention in Despatches as he had been badly injured and died shortly after.

His recommendation had been endorsed by the Station Commander of Biggin Hill, the AOC 11 Group and the AOC of Fighter Command, but still the VC and GC Committee, who decide the merits of a man's action decreed it not enough to give him the GC'

Facinating story of bravery his MID LG 1/1/1943 !

Mark

Thanks

Hi Henk,

No reported injuries on DD874 (tyre burst on landing from photo exercise) Pilot was P/O L H Robertson.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

There is a marriage of an Alice N M Booth and a Rudolph F West in December 1926 in Thanet District.

Also another marriage of a Rudolph F West in 1920?

The only birth I can find to match for Rudolph Francis West on FreeBMD in Q2 1889. That would make him about 53 and might explain him having a 6 digit NCO code.

1585606 Roy Vincent WOODROOF (143742).
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

On CWGC
    West's wife is given as Alice Nora Maria West from Ipswich which ties in with Dennis' first entry so I may have found the right one after all
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

That just struck me, the 1920 wedding was in the Ipswich district, to a Dorothy Chandler. A Dorothy West is registered dead in Ipswich in early 1926, age 31 but the number of Dorothy Chandlers born is large but there is one in 1894 in Ipswich.

The R F West second marriage was in Q4 1926.

But we are probably in the territory of prying now.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Thanks friends for all your help. Very interesting following this genealogy discussion !
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Henk,

Are you aware of this old thread on Sgt T McCORMICK?

http://www.rafcommands.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=5278&forum=DCForumID 6

Regards
    Martyn

Thanks

Details on F/Sgt Rudolph F. WEST - 143742 - cause of death was suicide :( I came across the Station Sick Quarters log for RAF Brize Norton which on 15 July '42 became the Heavy Glider Conversion unit absorbing a lot of existing personnel from No.2 (P)A.F.U. As the station Senior Medical Officer remained the same during the transition the summary for the month was carried over to the HGCU log books and not listed in the previous units logs. I'll spare the exact wording of the entry but it states F/Sergt West took his own life on 9.7.42. It doesn't give a reason.