Thread: Squadron Leader S.A.SOMERSCALES 136222

Thanks

Default Squadron Leader S.A.SOMERSCALES 136222

I am researching pilot Sqn Ldr Stanley Alan SOMERSCALES 136222. Appointed "B" Flight Commander 28 March 1944. Killed in Action 23 April 1944 aged 26 flying Halifax MZ578 while on operations over Dusseldorf. His post of flight commander was taken over by Sqn Ldr John Harwood

Anything, no matter how small will be gratefully received. Thank you

Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 3rd September 2009 at 22:52. Reason: adding age

Thanks

From the LG:
    Air Ministry, 19th January, 1943.
    ROYAL AIR FORCE VOLUNTEER RESERVE.
    To be Plt. Offs on prob. (emergency):
    Sgts.
    1072269 Stanley Alan SOMERSCALES (136222). 8th Sept. 1942.

Air Ministry, 20th April, 1943.
    ROYAL AIR FORCE.
    The KINGUias been graciously pleased to approve the following awards:
    Distinguished Flying Cross.
    Pilot Officer Stanley Alan SOMERSCALES (136222), Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, No. 10 Squadron.
    The above awards are for gallantry and devotion to duty in the execution of air operations.

Air Ministry, 18th June, 1943.
    ROYAL AIR FORCE VOLUNTEER RESERVE.
    GENERAL DUTIES BRANCH.
    Plt. Offs. (prob.) to be Flg. Offs. on prob. (war subs.):
    8th Mar. 1943.
    S. A. SOMERSCALES, D.F.C. (136222).

Thanks

Norman,
    Are you aware of this?

Subject: [INDIA] Stanley Alan Somerscales - RAF Volunteer Reserve
    Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2007 13:24:52 +0000

Hello Everyone,
    If anyone is interested, I came across a memorial tombstone for the above person whilst on a country walk. According to the War Graves Commission, this person is actually buried in Maastricht General Cemetary in Holland. The tombstone (which I took a couple of photo's of) is probably the place where this person's plane crashed. It is located on the edge of a forest called "Schweibos" near a golf course close to the village of Epen. If anyone is interested in receiving a copy of the photo's, then please let me know and I will send it to them as an email attachment

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/INDIA/2007-04/1175952292

Regards
    Martyn

Thanks

Default Somerscales Dfc

SOMERSCALES, Stanley Alan, P/O (136222, RAFVR) - No.10 Squadron - Distinguished Flying Cross - awarded as per London Gazette dated 20 April 1943. Citation from Air Ministry Bulletin 9917. Described as pilot and captain of aircraft.

"It is characteristic of this officer's flying ability that he never flew on an operational sortie in the role of second pilot. On his first sortie the main hydraulic pipe-line burst shortly after taking off and one engine failed, but Pilot Officer Somerscales continued on his mission and bombed the target, returning with the bombs doors open. Returning from Bremen on another occasion this officer's aircraft was attacked for 15 minutes by six enemy fighters, and although the bomber was hit, he succeeded in flying it back to base. Later, in September 1942, his aircraft was hit and badly damaged by shells. At the same time a Messerschmitt 110 attacked from astern and inflicted further damage before being shot down into the sea after an encounter lasting ten minutes. Pilot Officer Somerscales is a courageous and skilful captain of aircraft."

Thanks

Thank you Terry for your usual excellent London Gazette information.

Thank you Martyn, I was not aware of this and will most certainly follow it up.

Thank you Hugh, The citation has helped me a lot with my research.

Norman