Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squadron Leader Kenneth CLACK 124623

Thanks

Default Squadron Leader Kenneth CLACK 124623

I am researching pilot Sqn Ldr Kenny CLACK 124623. Appointed 76 Sqn "C" Flight Commander in early 1944. Killed in Action 31 March 1944 aged 21, flying Halifax LK795 while on operations over Nuremberg. His post of flight commander was taken over by Sqn Ldr N.L. Shove. This was Clacks second tour of ops on 76 Squadron. I believe he served at 1663 Conversion Unit in between.

Anything, no matter how small will be gratefully received. Thank you

Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 3rd September 2009 at 22:48. Reason: adding age

Thanks

Norman, From the LG:
    Air Ministry,
    29th May, 1942.
    ROYAL AIR FORCE.
    The KING has been graciously pleased to approve the following awards in recognition of gallantry displayed in flying operations against the enemy:
    Distinguished Flying Medal.
    1257263 Flight Sergeant Kenneth Arthur CLACK, No. 76 Squadron.
    This airman has completed many successful sorties including attacks on targets at Berlin, Mannheim, Stuttgart and Stettin. One night in April, 1942, he was the captain of an aircraft detailed to attack the German naval base at Trondheim. After releasing the bombs his aircraft was hit by anti-aircraft fire which caused one engine to fail and the bomb doors could not be closed. He succeeded in returning to base and landed safely with the bomb doors still open. The following night, as his former aircraft was not serviceable Flight Sergeant Clack volunteered to fly another aircraft to attack the naval base again. He delivered his bombs successfully and machine gunned gun emplacements. His courage and determination have been outstanding.

ROYAL AIR FORCE VOLUNTEER RESERVE.
    GENERAL DUTIES BRANCH.
    To be Plt. Offs. on prob. (emergency):
    Flt. Sgts.
    1257263 Kenneth Arthur CLACK, D.F.M. (124623). 16th May 1942.

Air Ministry,
    21st July, 1942.,
    ROYAL AIR FORCE VOLUNTEER RESERVE.
    GENERAL DUTIES BRANCH.
    Plt. Offs. (prob.) to be Flg. Offs. on prob. (war subs.):
    16th Nov. 1942.
    K. A. CLACK, D.F.M. (124623).

Regards, Terry

Thanks

Default Clack

Hi Norman

Have you seen the mentions of him in Martin Middlebrook's "Nuremberg Raid"?

Ian

Thanks

Norman,

There is a very good account of the operation Kenny Clack got his DFC for in a book called Death or Decoraction written by Ron Waite who was flying as 2nd Dickie to Kenny on that night - it was during the April 27th 1942 attack against Tirpitz. The book also has a photograph of John Harwood with Kenny Clack.

There are also some details (much of it extracted from the account written by Ron Waite) in Tirpitz The Halifax Raids by Nigel smith, including several photographs of Kenny which are via Ron Waite.

If you can't get hold of the books drop me a mail.

Regards
    Linzee

Thanks

Thank you Linzee, I'm now on the chase for the two books and cant wait to read them. Please could you confirm his age was only 21 at time of death? I fear I may have made a transcription error. From calculating training time, he is under 18 on enlistment. Should it all be correct, he was a very young Squadron Leader at time of promotion.

Thank you Ian, I have not read this book but will now get hold of a copy.

Thank you Terry, On searching the LG and also Flight Magazine, I try all manner of combinations of name rank date etc.but always seem to come up with less then everyone else! I must learn the secret ways.

Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 4th September 2009 at 14:38.

Thanks

Default 76 Sqn Hallifax LW696

76 Sqn Hallifax LW696, while outward bound to Nuremburg from Holme-on-Spalding Moor was shot down near Daubhausen, north of Wetzlar on either 30 or 31 March 1944.

Pilot: 124623 Sqn Ldr Kenneth Arthur CLACK - KIA
    Flt Eng: 53223 F/O David Clifford NOWELL - KIA
    W Operator: R155573 W/O Roy Edwards MOGALKI (RCAF) - KIA
    Navigator: J17443 FSgt Thomas THOMSON (RCAF) - KIA
    Bomb Aimer: 1330851 FSgt Keith James SHROPSHALL - KIA
    MU Gunner: 1335550 Sgt Leslie Wilfred Arthur PEALL - KIA
    Rear Gunner: Sgt Edwards - POW

If known, please could someone tell me who/what/when/how they were shot down?

Thank you
    Norman

Thanks

Hi Norman,

Always worth while checking the ammendments to Chorley.

In this case the nightfighter pilot is named.

http://www.rafinfo.org.uk/BCWW2Losses/1944.htm

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Hi Norman,

According to the late Eddie Fell F/S Mogalki was 2nd pilot on this aircraft:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/261665/thread/1168306916/last-1235354685/some+questions

Page 148 of Chorley's 1944 BCL shows the two air gunners, both named Edwards. Sgt. B L Edwards was taken POW, P/O D H Edwards was a casualty.

Regards,
    Dave

Thanks

Default Squadron leader K.E. Clack. DFM. 76 Squadron, Royal Air force.

Hello, I have not done much of this so I hope this message will pass scrutiny.

It is in response to the enquiry for information, no matter how small, about the late Squadron leader K.E. Clack, his crew, and the aircraft.
    My mother was married to his W/Op AG. Sgt. LWA Peall. 1335550. I researched for information back in 1975 just after Martin Middlebrooke`s `Nuremburgh raid` was published`, and later in 1985. My Mother re-married in 1947 and this was a taboo subject in our house.
    My enquiries were to Mr. Chorley (to see the dawn breaking) there is a picture of K E Clack actually in this book. I spoke to Martin Middlebrooke. Through their help I was able to speak directly to Hank Iverson, 76 Squadron C.O. (his son`s Harrier was shot down over Goose Green in 1982. He survived) and with Sgt. Guy Edwards, who on the 31st March 1944 was occupying the mid upper gunner`s position. Guy Edwards had the full view of all the events from the initial attack, to the destruction of this Halfax aircraft, so he saw it actually happen.
    They `got the chop` by `Schrage Musik`. This was a very effective anti bomber device! Slanting twin 30mm cannons firing upwards from a JU88 (The imperial War Museum has an exampleof this aircraft) If not already done so, I recommend that the enquirer contact Amazon bools and obtain the Nuremburgh Raid by M.M. FIRST EDITION as it has the FULL roll of honour inside. M.M. also has signed copies available directly from him. Also W. R. Chorleys `To see the Dawn breaking` is a full diary of 76 squadron and contains pictures from the middle east detatchment and Clack can be seen on one of these.

The crew, with the exception of Guy Edwards are still together. They are buried in a `Comrades grave` in the Hannover war cemetery. Row 5, plot `E` as far as memory serves, but it can be easily checked by contacting the Commonwealth War graves commission online. I have a picture of the grave.
    They were originally buried by the local people at Daubhausen but apparrently the mayor was worried about reprisals ? They were re-buried after hostilities ended.

A worrying Post Script to this matter is that only recently, the local German, `Aircraft appreciation society` in Daubhausen were asking about this aircraft, LW696, as they had finally, after all the years past, had excavated an engine which was buried about 15 ft in the ground. They were planning on it`s display. This upset me a little as I thought the crash site was considered a war grave.

There is tons more information but the day is short and I have much to do. Also this reply is becoming longer. I hope this information will be of interest to the enquirer.

`At the going down of the sun`.

John D. Sadler.

Thanks

Default Sqdn Ldr K E Clack DFM RAFVR. Further information.

Further to the information I posted as regards K E Clack, it might be worth mentioning that you have the incorrect aircraft serial. This might cause you problems in aquiring information.
    The aircraft was a Halifax Mk 3. The squadron letters were MP (roundel) X. The serial number was LW696.
    Hope this unlocks a bit more info.
    Cheers,
    JDS.