Thread: Halifax LV954

Eddie Fell Guest

Default Halifax LV954

The above aircraft was lost on 18/4/44 during Ops to Tergnier with the only crash location I have being given as near Rosieres-en-Santerre, 15km NW of Roye.

One of the permanent crew who did not join them that night is asking if anybody can assist with a better location for where the aircraft came down (Coordinates or just a better description)

I have the crew details etc

Any help appreciated

Eddie

Thanks

Eddie

if you go onto the Australian National Archives site you can view the Casualty Repatriation File for FSgt RW Wright who was one of the crew. His file states that the aircraft crashed at Damery, Somme. One of the documents records that one of the crew fell in the garden of a Madame Servier at Damery with the parachute unopened.

The site is www.naa.gov.au then go into search documents and put in Wright 410780 in the keyword box and A705 in the reference number and that should bring you to the file.

HTH

Daz

Thanks

An airman who fell down on earth with un-opened parachute may not confirm the location of the a/c crash. He may have jumped/blown off the a/c before the crash. Don't know whether this loss is within the area of interest of our friend Joss.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Hello

Thanks for thinking about me Henk, but indeed, this is not my normal research area. Slightly more to the south. But I'll give it a try, as while collecting rough data for my area (Nord-Pas-de-Calais), I've sometimes found files for other parts of France, including the Somme.

I'll post any details I may have.

Joss

Thanks

Thanks in advance Joss.

Henk.

Thanks

Henk, Joss
    just to clarify the file does state that the aircraft crashed at Damery, the information about the crew member is an extra bit of detail that the report writer included I believe in order to try and identify the body.

Regards

Daz

Thanks

Hi,
    If looked at closely, on page 21 of the file it states that the aircraft crashed at Damery, Somme, and the remains of some of the crew were buried in the cemetery there.

Eddie Fell Guest

Thanks to all for theire contributions. Damery seems certain to have been the crash location. In past years the air gunner on who behalf I asked the question, has spoken to the Authorities in Roye and Meharicourt, both of whom had no information relating to this incident. He is again going to pay his respects to his former crew later this year and will check out Damery

Cheers

Eddie