Thread: Squadron Leader TAIT, 76 Sqn c1941-3

Thanks

Default Squadron Leader TAIT, 76 Sqn c1941-3

I am searching for a Squadron Leader Tait, pilot on 76 Sqn sometime around 1941 to 1943. I think his name may be mentioned in Bill Chorleys 'To See The Dawn Rising'. I have no other details except 'Wikipedia' states a S/L Tait was on 78 Sqn around the same time. I know this is a tall order but should anyone know of a likely candidate for 76 Sqn I would be grateful for further details. He may have even be 'Tirpitz' Tait? Thank you.

Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 6th September 2009 at 13:55. Reason: adding info

Thanks

Hi Norman,
    James Brian ("Willie") Tate, also known as Tirpitz Tate was the 78sqdn Tate. I'm pretty sure he went through 51, 35 78 and 617sqdn's in that order.

Thanks

Norman

Squadron Leader Tait does get a mention in Bill Chorley's book "To see the dawn breaking" on page 15 he states 76 Squadrons initial pilot training was given by Tait and a Flight Lieutenant Lane. The second reference is to Tait whilst commanding 617 Squadron and attacking the Tirpitz.

HTH

Daz

Thanks

Hello Daz and Alan,
    Thank you for the information. It now looks more likely he was attached to 76 from 35 Sqn as an instructor so I've removed him from my hunt.
    Norman