Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Richard Cordingly

Thanks

Default Richard Cordingly

Hi
    I'm looking for more details of Richard Cordingly. He escaped from France in 1941 and was at No 5. Flying Training School Ternhill in August 1941. He then was posted off to fly Spitfires.

Richard Cordingly flew over in a plane which he stole from occupied France. Richard had been told to guard a French commercial plane while the pilot, who had come on a mission from Vichy, went to see the station C/O. Richard and several officers and troops jumped in and took off. They had an argument as the pilot wanted to go to North Africa and the others wanted to go to England. They told him that they would all be shot if they landed in Vichy North Africa in a stolen plane so they flew to Plymouth and landed in Devon.

Cheers motherbird

Thanks

hello,

The story of the plane stolen at Vichy and flown to U.K. furiously made me think about the case of André Colin. He was guarding the plane at Vichy airdrome. The year was also 1941. The plane was a Caudron Goéland.

I'm wondering if the identity you give "Richard Cordingly" might be an alias to protect his family still in occupied country. Or he was a passenger in the Goéland.

http://www.rafdavidstowmoor.org/pages/crash_log/crashlog41.htm

Go to 1st February entry.

I don't remember the full details of his evasion, but will look in my book when I'm back home.

Hope this helps

Joss

Thanks

Default Louis Ricard-Cordingley

Hi motherbird,

Some details on Louis Ricard-Cordingley are here :

http://www.francaislibres.net/liste/fiche.php?index=93242

It is in French but you could also find a print of him coming from my files.

His service number was 30431.

Bertrand

Thanks

hello Bertrand,

So it seems that there were initially some confusion, the escape happened in 1940, from Toulouse, and not in 1941 from Vichy.

I'll have a look at "aviateurs de la Liberté", unless someone beats me to it. Also in Germaine L'Herbier-Montagnon's book.

joss

Thanks

hello,

From "aviateurs de la Liberté", pages 88-89 : 26 January 1942, during a training flight in No. 57 Operational Training Unit, Hawarden, Sous-lieutenant Louis Ricard-Cordingly collided with another Spitfire, at about 10:30. He managed to get out of his plane, but being too low, the parachute didn't have the time to open.
    He was born on 6th November 1917 in La Mulatière (Rhône).
    As stated before, he evaded from France with Sgt Didier Béguin, from Toulouse, in a Caudron Goéland. They took off at midday on 22nd June 1940 and landed at Hasten in Devonshire.
    He spent some times in St Athan, then went to the Franco-Belgian school in Odiham, and underwent the following training : 2 EFTS in June and July 1941, 5 SFTS from August to December 1941 and 57 OTU from 9th December 1941.
    He was awarded the Légion d'honneur, Croix de Guerre 39-45 with 7 palms, Médaille de la Résistance, ordre du Drapeau Rouge (USSR), Ordre de la guerre pour la patrie 2e degré (USSR), citation on 29th January 1942 for the Free French Air Force.
    Initially buried in Hawarden, then in Brookwood.
    There's a portrait in the book, the same as in the link given by Bertrand.

No further details in "Cap sans retour" by Germaine L'Herbier-Montagnon.

Hope this helps

Joss

Thanks

Thanks once again you came up trumps!

Motherbird

Thanks

hello,

From Air-Britain aeromilitaria magazine (autumn 2005 issue), the two Spitfires involved in the collision were K9863 and X4164, event occuring near Sealand.

I can't tell who was flying which Spitfire. Only a check in the ORB (AIR 29/683 in Kew) or the accident cards (form 1180s) from Hendon would give this kind of detail.

Joss

Thanks

Will look into it when up next.

Moltherbird

Thanks

Source Mr Ray Sturtivant (Air Britain): Richard-Cordingley was on X4164. A fellow historian told me that Richard-Cordingley never was posted in Russia. How is it possible that he was awarded de USRR awards "Ordre du Drapeau Rouge" and "Ordre de la Guerre pour la Patrie 2° degré".
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Hello Henk,

Thanks for the serial number of the Spitfire flown by RICARD-CORDINGLEY but checking in Air-Britain Aeromilitaria (Autumn 2008 issue), Spitfire I, fifth batch - part 2, has the pilot as F/O Roman SUWALSKI (Polish) killed. Unfortunately no name is given in the entry for K9863 in the spring 2006 issue. But it's confirmed that these two Spitfires collided in flight. Unless it was a correction in following issues ?

Can a Spitfire expert give his opinion on that one ?

Joss