Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CWGC search engine has changed.

Thanks

Default CWGC search engine has changed.

Seems the CWGC has changed its search engine without any announcement, hope it dosen't effect too many members.

New link below.

Regards
    Peter

http://www.cwgc.org/Search-Our-Records.aspx

Thanks

Is this CWGC being hit by the same (funding?) problems as at UK TNA? Just a very devious thought?
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Shame they can't spell 'Advanced'

Thanks

Says it all really
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

hello,

I just gave it a try. It works but it's not very practical, especially this new feature when you're typing a surname and the system wants to help you, write the end of the surname and that's not the one you want. In the end it requires more clicks that if there was nothing. So not helpful.

Joss

Thanks

I have to admit that I find the interface (which I guess is not the same as the search engine) fine and quick.

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Hello All,

Haven't tried the new system yet, but a thought comes to mind. How are these changes going to affect 'Geoff's Search Engine'?

GSE has exposed a lot of weaknesses in the CWGC system. It is not the first time they have altered the system to suit themselves. Pre-GSE, there was a rather crude method of searching the CWGC database based on date searching. So what did the CWGC do? They limited date searches (to a maximum of 1,000 from memory), thereby nullifying any search.

There would not be a person on this Forum who has not benefited from GSE. I'm sure the CWGC would be smarting over the unwanted exposure of the flaws in their system, not to mention the increased correspondence it has created. IMHO, GSE has only done what the CWGC should have done themselves, years ago - installed a workable search engine. It was only a matter of time before the CWGC reacted!

I might be getting a little ahead of myself on this, but I have been half-expecting it.

Off to the CWGC/GSE, to have some fun!

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 7th September 2009 at 18:28. Reason: minor correction

Thanks

I can't see it affecting GSE, it is still essentially the same search engine just with a different interface. There is no exact date or service number option, that is what would affect GSE.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

The search fields are the same as they were,

the basic field if you look is "Surname" and "initials"

and the advanced tab then brings up the

War, Years from and too and service and 'Nationality' from the old interface has become 'Force' which may reduce some confusion.

I can barely picture the old search page despite using it almost every day for the last 3 years but I don't think much if anything has changed.

I'd only say that when there are so few search fields I don't see the need for the basic and advanced break up.

It's fresh layout, I did similar some years ago with my crash site listing, a few tweeks to the style sheets and a website can appear to be brand new.

One little thing I see added is when your looking at the lists of casulaties for a cemetery or memorial there is now a button in the bottom left which when you place the mouse over says 'find records'.

This allows you to narrow down the surnames for that memorial or cemtery. Now if they did that for the date field...... that would be useful I think.**

And sadly yes, Geoff's site is shut down, his must not be able to interface. What a pain.

From that down note to an upnote, I think I now see that I can by clicking on the 'Date of death' heading in a cemtery list it does sort the casulaties, so my comment above** about date sirting is invalid.

You can also down load the visible page as a PDF, this is OK for three pages of Irvinestown Cemetery in Northern Ireland, less useful for Runnymede for example.

I think we are at a great disadvantage for the the loss of Geoff's search engine.
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 7th September 2009 at 19:05.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Seems OK to me. Had no problems with it.

Brian