Thread: Bewl Water losses Sussex

Thanks

Default Bewl Water losses Sussex

Hi (I'm so glad to recall my username, which I managed to forget for 2 years!)

Anyway.

I've been struggling now to interview anyone old enough to recall observing a BF109 crash in a 'bog' at Rosemary farm, Ticehurst, Sussex.

I got some information from Vic Catt, of Etchingham Aviation Society, that the pilot bailed out, and the plane was submerged in the bog (seemed unlikely).

Then another old boy who was working in the hops told me he had seen a similar thing, that he with his cousin managed to rescue one of its machine guns, as a gift.

THe date 09.09.1940.

Any idea if this is the a/c which is now thought to lie under the water at Bewl reservoir?

Dave

Thanks

Dave

I know P51B 43-24844 of 354FS 355FG is supposed to be under Bewl Water (crashed 11/7/44) ....

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=16361&highlight=reservoir

Paul

Bf 109 incidents on this date in general area.. BYW Bewl Water is I think Offically in Kent..

9.9.40 Bf 109E W/n 6316 7/JG 3 Coopers Field, Flimwell, Sussex SDF
    9.9.40 Bf 109E W/n 1394 St I/JG 27 Knowle Farm, Mayfield, Sussex SDF
    9.9.40 Bf 109E W/n 3488 5/JG 27 Charity Farm, Coolham, Sussex SDF
    9.9.40 Bf 109E W/n 6280 6/JG 27 Mounts Farm, Benenden, Kent SDF
    9.9.40 Bf 109E W/n 1617 7/JG 27 Romans Gate Cottage, near Rudgwick, Sussex SDF

Thanks

Default crossed info Paul?

Thanks very much Paul.

That wasn't long ago that the information was being saught elsewhere too (12 o'clock high).
    I wonder therefore (after your kind ironing effort), whether, the Bf109 (that the Ticehurst hop pickers saw) in the bog was in fact the P51!
    One source you quote stated it was 'definately' the P51 YF-O Morphine Sue (McNally's ship) which was traced before Bewl got flooded (1972).

Locals say the pilot bailed out.

But we don't then know if they were refering to the Bf109 or the P51, on this basis?

I prefer your Bf109 loss source giving 'Coopers field' rather than my 'Rosemary farm' as I believe Rosemary's land is in Kent, although most of the reservoir is in Sussex BTW).

Dave

Thanks

"One source you quote stated it was 'definately' the P51 YF-O Morphine Sue (McNally's ship) which was traced before Bewl got flooded (1972)."

I think source is Andy Saunders and he should know... IIRC he says P-51 recovered before reservoir created...

Thanks

Default Ticehurst untangled

Indeed. Yes....
    Was there an itemised record kept by Wealden Group, of their excavations & finds etc?
    (too hopeful perhaps).

Battle of Britain then & now maybe....can I get a copy?

Another mystery has resultantly arisen after your kind additions:

Was the 'Coopers field' you have for the Bf109, in fact 'Coopers farm'?
    This is very close to Bardown farm, Stonegate, which was the site listed for another Bf109 that I now know crashed on the railway line at Churchsettle farm, (stonegate) Ticehurst (Both BoB).

That leaves the following Ticehurst entry however still:

Lt Hans Ragnar Isachsen (safe) , 332 sqn (Bognor Regis from N.Weald 31.03.44 -21.06.44 to Tangmere), a/c crashed (Cat E) due to engine problem.
    NB. 332sqn recd Spifire IXs Nov. 1942
    ???
    Ticehurst.

Dave