Thread: RNZAF pilot Sq.Ldr. L.B. Renolds, 76 Sqn.

Thanks

Default RNZAF pilot Sq.Ldr. L.B. Renolds, 76 Sqn.

I am seeking further information about pilot, Squadron Leader L.B. RENOLDS RNZAF, NZ402899, posted in to 76 Sqn 15 Jul 45 from 158 Sqn, posted out of 76 Sqn sometime in 1946. Thank you

Norman

Thanks

Norman,

From Gp Capt C M Hanson's 'By Such Deeds - Honours and Awards in the Royal New Zealand Air Force, 1923-1999':

RENOLDS, Squadron Leader Lindsay Blair, DFC.
    NZ402899; Born Hawera, 2 Feb 1919; RNZAF 31 Aug 1940 to 17 Apr 1947; Pilot.
    Citation Distinguished Flying Cross (9 Sep 1943): [466 Sqn RAAF (Wellington)] Although gravely injured in a crash, which occurred on return from an operational sortie, this officer resumed duty on recovery with determination and enthusiasm and has displayed a high degree of skill and gallantry in attacks on major targets.[*] By his personal example and his work as deputy flight commander he has made a valuable contribution to the operational efficiency of his squadron. [*] Crashed at 0500 on 30 Sep 1941 in a 102 Sqn RAF Whitley. While attached to the RAF, Sqn Ldr Renolds also served with 1502 BAT Flt and Halifax Sqns 640, 158 and 76 Sqn.

Errol

Thanks

Norman,

There is a photograph of him taken while he was on '40 Course' at 10 OTU in approx May/June 1941 if you follow this link then scroll down the page http://www.archieraf.co.uk/archie/pilottraining.html he is seated front centre and my grandfather is standing directly behind him!

Oh, and before any sharp eyed person notices that I have spelt Renolds name with a 'y' in the caption under the photograph I've just noticed it myself. It's only taken me 10 years to spot it! When I can remember how to work all the software to allow me to change it I'll get on to it!

Regards
    Linzee
    Last edited by Linzee; 9th September 2009 at 22:53. Reason: additional info........well ok, additional confession!

Thanks

Hello Linzee,
    Thank you very much for the information and the lead to the photograph. I have nearly completed the 76 Squadron flight commanders and about to embark on other squadron appointments. Do you know if Lindsay Renolds is still with us?
    Norman

Hello Errol,
    Thank you very much for the information, I seem to be continualy asking you to find Kiwi aircrew and greatly appreciate your swift responses from so far away. Do you know where Lindsay Renolds went to live? and is he still with us?
    Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 10th September 2009 at 17:10. Reason: expanding acknowledgement to Errol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by namrondooh View Post
    Hello Errol,
    Thank you very much for the information, I seem to be continualy asking you to find Kiwi aircrew and greatly appreciate your swift responses from so far away. Do you know where Lindsay Renolds went to live? and is he still with us?
    Norman
    Norman,

A 1943 photo caption refers to him as being of Napier, so possibly that is where he returned to. I've not found a death reference to him in NZ, nor does he appear in the present day White Pages. A notice in the 'Lost Trail' column of the RSA Review magazine might lead you to him or a relative?

Errol

Thanks

Norman,
    I have a note that Flight Lieutenant L B Renolds was discharged from the RNZAF in the UK on 18/4/47 (he had relinquished his acting rank of S/L w.e.f. 15/1/47), and relinquished his temporary RNZAF commission w.e.f. same date. He had married in England in April 1945, and his last address was in Port Stewart, Northern Ireland. He had departed NZ on 27/3/41 for the UK via Canada, having trained as a pilot at Levin (ITW), Harewood (3 EFTS), and Blenheim (2 FTS). Apart from units already noted, he also seems to have served with SEAC from Sept 1945 till return to UK approx July 1946.
    David D