Thread: Fighter pilots in French resistance

Thanks

Default Fighter pilots in French resistance

Good morning guys
    This Forum was highly recommended by one of your members, so here I am.

I'm looking for any details re Allied fighter pilots in French resistance. Is there any kind of documentation of their activity. I know also about some of them being in SOE. Generally speaking I'm rather more interested in any kind of database where I can search each particular name. I'm curious to know if somebody kept any files of them, and if so, where is it now Recently I've spoken with former fighter pilot and he has confirmed that he served as a volunteer but he didn't say how he joined and what exactly he was doing. His "service" started since he finished operational flying in 1944 and was posted to FC HQ, so obviously he wasn't shot down over occupied French territory. As he wasn't very kin on sharing details I cannot mention his name. He has a certificate of voluntary service with French resistance (Active Member)..
    Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

hello,

That will be difficult to help if you don't give more details.

I don't know of any online database about this subject, but you may browse on several sites devoted to the Résistance and Free French.

One site I may recommend is
    http://www.francaislibres.net/

There's a search box where you can enter the name of the pilot you can't release.

I don't know of many Free French Aircrews who acted in the Résistance one way or another. Probably the most famous was Bernard Dupérier, who was parachuted over Brittany in July 1944. He had previously served as a fighter pilot and unit C.O., and was by then a Lieutenant-Colonel (Wing commander). He passed away in 1995.

I have met a few years ago a former "Lorraine" (No. 342 Squadron) pilot, who had been helping with evasion lines back in 1941-42, then left France in about 1943 and trained as a Boston (later Mitchell) pilot.

Another man who is famous in France was a fighter pilot named Colin, flying Bloch 152s in 1939-40. He remained in France and founded a resistance group. He was later arrested and shot. But he wasn't a member of the Free French Air Force (FAFL) but instead was a member of the French Forces of the Interior (FFI).

Joss

Thanks

Hello Joss

I went trough website you've mentioned. It looks great apart from that ... I don't understand any word in French (shame).
    I was searching the name of the pilot but without result. Actually there is one person with the same surname, but this is someone else (different first name and date of birth).
    If I need to dig dipper I need someone with fluent French I'm afraid.
    This pilot has two membership cards:
    1. Federation Nationale des Combattants Volontaires Des Guerres 1914-1918 1939-1945 Et Des Forces De La Resistance no.153 l or b or 6 (the last digit/letter doesn't appear very clear)
    and
    2.Carte D'Adherent no 3131 L'Ordre de la Resistance Polonaise (as the pilot I've mentioned before was from PAF).
    I can send you copies of both on PM if that's ok.

Peter

Thanks

Hello,

That would obviously be a problem for you if you don't understand French at all !

You can pm or e-mail me your documents and I'll try to help you, but my usual field of research is the R.A.F., not the French Air Force, even if I'm French !

Joss

Thanks

Peter,

Go here:

http://translate.google.com/

Enter the URL Joss gave you:

http://www.francaislibres.net/

Click on "French" to "English" in the appropriate boxes.

It's not exact but it will give you an idea of what's going on.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Thank you Joss and Dave

I'll use google translator of course!
    Yes, Joss - if you don't mind I'll forward my materials to you.

Peter