Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ternhill pilot killed ?Chelwijche? Oct 41

Thanks

Default Ternhill pilot killed ?Chelwijche? Oct 41

Hi

I am trying to find out about a pilot killed night-flying around 16/17 Oct 1941. He was called Chelwijcke ? chelwyich? while training at Ternhill.

He put his flaps up at 100 feet instead of this undercart.

Next day a Frenchman on course 64 was also killed day-flying. No name on this pilot either.

Cheers
    Motherbird

Thanks

I tried searching using Geoff's site and nothing remotely close comes up for either date. He might have been Polish and therefore not listed in CWGC site.
    David

Thanks

Yes I've tried a variety of spellings. The writing in the diary is very bad! HE would have been there with other Poles. Gouvert Steen and Jan Plesman were about at round the same time

I have put the page on photobucket for others to try to decipher.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj60/reallyusefulboxes/diarycompressed.jpg

Motherbird
    Last edited by motherbird; 12th September 2009 at 09:33.

Thanks

hello,

I presume that you are talking of No. 5 S.F.T.S., according to a previous inquiry you made. There's no Free French killed on 17th October 1941 anyway, but I can offer sous-lieutenant Armand Bayard aka Maurice Delecray, who was killed during a training flight at No. 5 S.F.T.S., Ternhill, on 22nd October 1941.
    Born 19th December 1920 in Paris. He was posted to No. 5 S.F.T.S. on 14th May 1941 (does this match with No. 64 Course ?), as a sergent-chef (= Flight Sergeant). He was posthumously promoted to sous-lieutenant with effect from 21st October. He was awarded the "Médaille de la Résistance", and is buried in Market Drayton (apparently not brought back to France).

Air-Britain aeromilitaria magazine (autumn 2004 issue) has Master I N7485 of 5 FTS dived into ground at Gnosall, Staffs.

On 17th October 1941, the same magazine shows Master III W8562 crashed on approach at night, 1/4 milesE of Chetwyind.

Hope this helps

Joss

Thanks

I have a note that Sgt Delacroye of No 64 Course was killed when Master N7845 crashed at Gnosall on 22 Oct 41. Not sure about spelling - could be Delacroix.

Thanks

My reply crossed with Joss's authoritative details. My note is not very helpful - even the serial is wrong!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jossleclercq View Post
    On 17th October 1941, the same magazine shows Master III W8562 crashed on approach at night, 1/4 milesE of Chetwyind.Joss
    My mistake... the diary entry must have been the plane crashed at Chetwyind rather than the pilot name!
    So no name for him then.

Thanks for that

motherbird

Thanks

Hello,

Again, a look at the ORB of No. 5 S.F.T.S. should give you the identities of the airmen you are seeking. It should be in AIR 29/557 in Kew. I'd be interested in what you may find, as other Free French lost their lives while with this unit : 18th July 1941, Xavier HAHN, 20th August 1941, Emile LAURENT aka Davis GARBUTT, 23rd August 1941, René Le Bian (sometimes spellt Le Bihan) aka Ralph SAYERS, 12th October 1941, Robert LOUBET aka Robert LINDEN or 24th November 1941, Philippe ALLARD. The latter was born in my area, in Croix, near Lille.

I also have a keen interest in Jan PLESMAN who went missing in action in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais on the 1st of September 1944.

Joss

Thanks

Joss,
    I've PLESMAN on MJ343 - 3W-P "Prinses Irene". Took off 10.27h from Deanland near Eastbourne for an armed recce Calais-Ghent- Aulnoye. Flak shot off tail from his a/c over a wooded area 6˝ km S of Hazebrouck - 11.20h. Plesman still missing.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Hello Henk,

Thanks for the details about Plesman but I already knew them. I was more or less asked by Air France-KLM staff to do my best to find him, but this is no easy task, especially since a few people have sometimes "spoiled" some clues/tracks, muddying more the waters than really bringing help. Out of the 6 Spitfires lost that day in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais, I've been able to locate 5. Not Plesman so far, and this will be a long quest.

Back to the original question, do you have a name for Master III W8562 which crashed on approach at night, near Chetwyind on 17th October 1941 ?

Cheers

Joss