Thread: Halifax 'H' 10 Squadron 7/10/1943

Thanks

Default Halifax 'H' 10 Squadron 7/10/1943

Hi All,

Does anyone have any information on the bellylanding of Halifax 'H' of 10 Squadron on 7th October 1943.

I am looking for any information ie. the serial number, if the a/c was written off, circumstances etc. BCL has nothing on the incident but maybe someone could supply information from the ORB (if any). The Halifax was being flown by Sgt. Taylor.

Many thanks in advance,

Russ

Thanks

Default Halifax Z A H

Hi Ross
    I think this is what you are looking for
    RAID ON HANOVER 8/9 10 43
    Halifax J D 120 ZA H 10 Squadron Melbourne
    Bounced on landing U C collapsed No Injuries
    Transfered to Riccal 1658 H C U
    The above is in the book Melbourne Ten
    Regards
    Harold Dummer

Thanks

Thanks Harold

Thanks

Just picking up on this old thread. Russ - have you any additional information discovered in the past seven years ?

Looking at the free-to-view partly obscured 10 Sqn ORBs on the National Archives website Sgt Taylor doesn't appear to have flown Ops with 10 Sqn on 8th / 9th Oct 1943 or been involved in any mishap operationally on 7th or 8th/9th Oct 1943.

Sgt R Taylor and his crew were posted in to 10 Sqn from 1658 HCU on 19th Sept 1943 and don't appear to have gone on Ops until December 1943, they then feature regularly over the coming months with many of his crew receiving DFC/DFM's in Summer 1944.

Having looked at the "Melbourne 10" book there's nothing I can find that states Taylor was involved in a crash on 9th Oct 1943, let alone the "bounced on landing" etc information. It states "One Halifax of 10 Sqn crash landed at Melbourne, with no injury to the crew". I would suggest that this was Sgt Cameron's aircraft.

On 8th/9th Oct 1943, from the ORB : Sgt Kearsley, Flight Engineer of Wilkinson's crew walked into a prop and was injured before take off. Sgt Crothers, F/Lt...(name unknown), and Sgt Cameron received flak damage (Cameron's HX163 was that badly damaged it was written off (as per Chorley's BCL).

Any additional information appreciated to try and clarify what happened to Taylor / Halifax JD120. Many thanks. Rich