Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 420724 - Unaccounted airwoman and airmen - 24-7-1942

Thanks

Hello Dennis,
    I just came across this information about David Gordon Henderson who was my uncle. I've requested his service records from Library and Archives Canada. I'm curious as to whether you might have more information about him or knew him.

Diana Henderson
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis_burke View Post
    Henderson's death is registered in the Third Quarter of 1942, Jul-Aug-Sep. 24th June would not be late enough in the month to delay his registration but maybe there was a delay. CWGC might have him wrong, best solution is his service file.

And his grave on the VAC memorial site is also July 24th. I'll try another email to the CWGC.

Bugger! I only just seen you mailed them also Henk.

Thanks

Hello Diana,
    I am a member of Chipping Norton Royal Legion and every Armistice day after our town war memorial service we go to Little Rissington Churchyard and lay a wreath and crosses on the graves of the airman who died in crashes in around the town. Your Uncle David Henderson is one of those. I am in the process of adding a page to our website www.chippingnortonbritishlegion.com concerning all the airmen who lie in the beautiful churchyard and would very much appreciate any information or photos you would be willing to share. Further to this we are hoping to create an information board to place in the churchyard with the stories/pictures of those that lay there as part of the commemoration of the end of the Second World war next year.

Best wishes Steve stevekingsford@gmail.com

Thanks

Hi Steve
    can you check the local burial register to see was he buried in June or July??
    cheers

Hopefully Diana has his service file now. You might want to send her a PM as she likely is not checking this everyday. Pm ought to generate an email to her.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hello Dennis,

I will do that, popping over next week.

Followed your advice but Diana not signed up for private messages. Bye the bye how do you get access to Alan Storr's Australian records? I can't seem to find them on line any more.

Thanks for your help

Steve

Thanks

Steve ( & others),

Alan Storr's material is now located here:

http://www.awm.gov.au/search/all/?qu...5D=collections

Col.

Thanks

Steve,

Diana is signed up for emails. Left-click on her name, then use the drop-down menu to access her email address.

Brian

Thanks

Hello

ACW1 Margaret H. LAIDLAW - 2043917 - the Edinburgh Evening News of July 29th 1942 reported the following:

MILITARY FUNERAL FOR DALKEITH W.A.A.F. KILLED ON ROAD
    A military funeral was given at Dalkeith Cemetery this afternoon to Miss Margaret Hughes Laidlaw, of the W.A.A.F., who died in a Southport hospital shortly after a collision, while cycling, with an N.F.S. tender on Friday.

Sgt (Pilot) Montague S. ROBINSON - 77345 (1077345 on CWGC) - with regards to Malcolm's post #7, he's nothing to do with Spitfire P8175 it seems. The Sunderland Echo of July 25th 1942 reported the following:

DIED ON SERVICE
    The death occurred in hospital near Chester yesterday of Sergt.-Pilot Montague S. Stuart Robinson, R.A.F., only son of Mr. T. W. Robinson, of 1 Valebrook Gardens, Sunderland, who has been serving as an engineer-officer in the Fleet Auxiliary.
    Sergt. Robinson, who was educated at Bembridge School, joined the R.A.F. on his 18th birthday in October, 1940, and obtained his "wings" at the R.A.F. flying school at Selma, Alabama, U.S.A. He was completing his training in England when he became ill a week ago.

Sgt Gerald P. RUDSTON - 938766 - the Hull Daily Mail of July 31st 1942 reported the following:

Funeral of Hessle Airman
    The funeral took place at Hessle of Sergeant Gerald Rudston, R.A.F., only son of Mr. and Mrs. Horace Rudston, of Brunswick Grove, hessle. Sergt. Rudston, who was 25, died on Friday ater a short illness.

F/Sgt Robert RAE - 514673 - the Carluke and Lanark Gazette of July 31st 1942 reported the following:

Airman Found Shot
    Flight-Sergt. Robert Rae, aged 32, of the R.A.F., was found dead with a revolver shot wound in his head at his sleeping quarters at Newcastle. At the inquest, held in Newcastle on Saturday last, the verdict was returned that Rae, who is believed to belong to Lanark, committed suicide by shooting himself when the balance of his mind was disturbed.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Default Re: The Unaccounted Project - Final Stretch Updates by Jon Heyworth

Leslie Henry Dunn 1188873 , attached to 119 MU and

Hubert Leslie Tall 1405874 , attached to Number 56 RSU

Both became seriously ill with heat stroke at Shaibah on 22 July , admitted to Number 61 General hospital from SSQ at Shaibah, they both died of heart hyperexia

Thanks

Stuart Montague Robinson 107734 , attached to 57 OTU , died in the Chester isolation hospital of acute cereberal polio enchephalitis

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jonheyworth For This Useful Post:

wwrsimon (29th October 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jonheyworth View Post
    Stuart Montague Robinson 107734 , attached to 57 OTU , died in the Chester isolation hospital of acute cereberal polio enchephalitis
    Jon

He's 1077345 Montague Stewart Robinson on the CWGC and his Air 78 card. His death was reported in the Sunderland Echo of July 25th, where he's called Montague S. Stuart Robinson of the 'Fleet Auxiliary' just to confuse matters:

DIED ON SERVICE
    The death occurred in hospital near Chester yesterday of Sergt.-Pilot Montague S. Stuart Robinson, R.A.F., only son of Mr. T. W. Robinson, of 1 Valebrook Gardens, Sunderland, who has been serving as an engineer-officer in the Fleet Auxiliary.
    Sergt. Robinson, who was educated at Bembridge School, joined the R.A.F. on his 18th birthday in October, 1940, and obtained his "wings" at the R.A.F. flying school at Selma, Alabama, U.S.A. He was completing his training in England when he became ill a week ago.

Regards

Simon
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England