Thread: RAF Oban - Kerrera

Thanks

Default RAF Oban - Kerrera

I went to look at what is left from the seaplane base at Kerrera today.

There are various odds and ends as well as about nine bomb stores - mounded earth squares with one or two lockers at each side of the entrance facing inwards.

There is also one large brick building behind the main base. There was a concrete track up to it that split at the end with access to two sides of the building.

The building seems quite well ventilated so fuel or batteries come to mind but could be ammunition / pyrotechnics. I wonder is anyone recognises the style of building?

Kerrera

http://tinyurl.com/ppuu36

Thanks

Hi Martin,

You got a great day for it, good photos, i have been wanting to go over there for ages but never got round to it. Someday!!
    There is a good photo in "The Hebrides at War" book of a Sunderland on that Wide slip page 17.

Mag

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Magr123 View Post
    Hi Martin,

You got a great day for it, good photos, i have been wanting to go over there for ages but never got round to it. Someday!!
    There is a good photo in "The Hebrides at War" book of a Sunderland on that Wide slip page 17.

Mag
    I have wanted get there also for some time. I only recently realised you can use the marina ferry if you are a customer i.e. get meal or drinks there.

There are also some structures on the hills around the base so will get back sometime and have a look at them. Described as LAA, lookouts, machine gun posts depending on who you speak to.

MB