Thread: Blenheim V6426, 4 July 1941.

Thanks

Default Blenheim V6426, 4 July 1941.

Hallo all,

Can anyone please tell me the circumstances for the loss of Blenheim V6426 of 82 Squadron on 4 July 1941 ? Three of the crew (of 4 ?) died and are buried in England.
    I believe the date above is correct thanks to the CWGC website. However THE BRISTOL BLENHEIM (2nd edition) by Graham Warner also records that it was DBR at Hal Far, Malta on 11 July 1941 ! This loss does not seem to be mentioned in Chorley's 1941 Bomber Command Losses.

Any help appreciated,

Martin Gleeson.

Thanks

Martin,
    Do you have names of the crew ? A loss 4 or 11-7-1941 should have been in BLME (Gunby/Temple), however not listed in their vol.1.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Hi Gents,

I have

18/07/41
    82 Sqn
    Blenheim IV
    V6426

W/C J Hunt DFC
    Sgt K Tucker
    F/Sgt F Thripp

Op: Tripoli, RAF Luqa

Shot down by enemy fighters while returning.

I see that ME Bomber Losses has this loss as Z9582 so I'm not sure where I noted the 6426 from.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Hallo Henk and Ross,

Henk,
    The only names I have come from page 352 of THE BRISTOL BLENHEIM (2nd Edition);
    P/O G. Bartlett (pilot, baled out injured), P/O N. Cooper (Obs.), Sgt. O. Hall (WOP/AG), Sgt. D. Hughes (WOP/AG). The last 3 were killed and the CWGC website confirms the date as 4 July 1941.
    It looks to me like a UK crash, hence it should not appear in BLME (Gunby/Temple).

Ross,
    Both Gunby/Temple in BLME, Vol. 1 and Graham Warner in THE BRISTOL BLENHEIM give Z9582 for Hunt's aircraft on this date. MALTA: THE HURRICANE YEARS 1940-1941 confirms the date as 18 July 1941 but does not give a serial number.
    Just to confuse matters even more it appears Z6426 also flew with 82 Squadron from Malta and was lost on 11 June 1941 !

Regards for now,

Martin.

Thanks

Martin,
    I have the names on file, however a "?" for the a/c serial. First idea it might have been V6424, but this serial - once on the strength of 82 Sqn - was transferred to 21 Sqn, later 18 Sqn, and finally 14-3-1944 to the Admiralty. The Blenheim took-off from Bodney, Norfolk, on a ferry to St.Eval, Cornwall. Collided with another Blenheim and crashed near Fairford, Gloucestershire, approx. 10.45h. The pilot, who got injured, was Gordon T. BARTLETT - 63485. Must confess that this loss is not listed by Air Britain in their Aeromilitaria "Crashsites in the UK during WW2".
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Hallo Henk,

Your location looks right as two of the three killed are buried in Watton, Norfolk.

The other Blenheim is a little mystery in itself. Again the entry on page 352 of THE BRISTOL BLENHEIM notes that V6070 was the aircraft that collided with V6426 on 4 July 1941, but it was BELIEVED to have laned safely.
    However on page 350 V6070 was recorded as having been destroyed on the ground by enemy bombing at St. Eval on 10 May 1941.
    On page 482 V6070 is yet again noted, this time it was believed to have been lost on a ferry flight to Gibraltar on 10 May 1941. No crew mentioned.

Gunby/Temple in BLME record V6070 as believed lost during a ferry flight to Malta OR destroyed on Malta, NFD. No crew details.

My money is on 10 May 1941 destroyed at St. Eval by bombing. Reason, no crew details anywhere.

Regards,

Martin.

Thanks

Default Blenheim V6426, 4th July 1941

Hi Martin

Perhaps i could help, and clear up these losses.

V6426 Bristol Blenheim IV was lost as follows;

82 Sqn RAF, 4/Jul/1941

Took of 1015, Bodney, Norfolk, England. One of two 82 squadron Blenheim's ferrying a crew to St Eval to pick up a faulty Blenheim and return it to Bodney for repair. Collided at 1045 and crashed somewhere in the UK possibly in the area of Fairford Glostershire. Two of the crew who were killed are buried in Watton (St Mary) Churchyard, Norfolk (C. 54/55). Sgt Hughes is buried in East Claydon (St Mary) Churchyard, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom.

The crew of V6426 were;
    63485. P/O G.T. Bartlett, RAF (VR). Pilot Inj
    64325. P/O N.A. Cooper, RAF (VR) Obs +
    751473. Sgt O. Hall, RAF (VR). WOp/AG +
    1165297. Sgt D.W. Hughes, RAF (VR). WOp/AG +

V6070 Bristol Blenheim IV UX-N

Was lost as follows;

82 Sqn RAF, 10/May/1941

Took off Bodney, Norfolk, England. One of 13 Aircraft that flew to St Eval for operations. Eight were damaged in an enemy attack after arrival. V6070 seems to have been one of them and was designated Cat E2 and SOC on the 22/5/1941.

Both losses have been verified by the Air Historical Branch. The entry for V6070 in BCLME is incorrect and should have been deleted before publication, but for some unknown reason was not. The location of the loss of V6426 is only approximate based on distance and average speed, take off time and time of loss.

Pel Temple

Thanks

The English deaths are registered in Downham district, Norfolk.
    Denis W Hughes age 21
    Owen Hall age 33
    Nicolas A Cooper Age 21

Spellings as per Death index.

Downham district.
    http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/downham.html
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hallo all,

Pel,
    Thank you very much for clarifying the circumstances of both losses. That really sorts out several difficult Blenheim queries. It seems likely from what you have written that the identity of the second Blenheim involved in the mid-air collision is not known, but most probably it landed OK.
    Looking forward to Vol. 2 of BLME.

Dennis,
    Thanks for the extra detail and confirmation.

Regards,

Martin.

Thanks

What I was thinking but not saying is that the deaths are registered very close to Bodney where they took off, I doubt the remains would have been brought back from Glostershire or would be registered that far away from the crash location. Though what was being done for the 30 mins in the air is a guess. I'm probably stating the obvious.

cheers lads
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com