Thread: Sgt. N J Smith, 611 Squadron, 6th July 1941

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Sgt. N J Smith, 611 Squadron, 6th July 1941

Sgt Norman John Smith was shot down on 6th July 1941 and was picked up in the English Channel, destined to become a POW for the rest of the war.

Can anyone please give me any further details? I have his liberation questionnaire which is a little brief as always.

Regards,

Nick

Thanks

Hi Nick
    Norman Franks, Fighter Command Losses Vol 1,revised edition, records that Smith was shot down over Lille by an Me109 whilst flying Spitfire Vb,W3311,during Circus 35. There is no mention of his coming down in the Channel and as Lille is a little way inland the recovery from the sea may need further checking. Franks records that he was POW at Kopernikus
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

hello,

There are still lots of errors in FCL, even in revised form, as this author has not checked the PoW questionnaires, which is a very valuable source. I've seen most of the questionnaires for the airmen lost in my area, or supposed so, including Norman John SMITH's. I have a few airmen who actually came down in the drink and were captured by the Germans, a few that came down in neighboring département or in Belgium, and the reverse cases as well.

The Squadron ORB doesn't give much details about his loss, but tells us his nickname was 'Mushroom', and that he was a "very cheerful little farmer from the West Country". "He was last seen in an attacking position on the tail of a 109. He probably sold himself very dearly". Take off time was 13:35. The other pilots landed 15:15, 15:20.

He may have been engaged over Lille, and tried to reach the U.K. and eventually either ditched or parachuted over the water, but only a statement directly from him would give us the exact details.

Joss

Thanks

Thanks Guys,

This is certainly him. He was a farmer from Gloucester as l have his liberation report, where he say's under place and date of capture "English Channel, 6.7.41".

He went through Dulag Luft, Bad Sulza, SL's 3 and 6 and eventually the two Stalag 357 destinations.

He say's under escape attempt:- "Yes. In November 1941 from IXc. Dressed as French worker walking through main gate, recaptured in Stalag locality after being found out by French collaborator. Companion Allan Fuller. Yes".

I believe this to be my Father's navigator.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Nick