Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P/O Ross Ferrier Philp, 426260, RAAF

Thanks

Default P/O Ross Ferrier Philp, 426260, RAAF

Hello,

P/O Ross Ferrier Philp, 426260, RAAF died on 7 Oct 1944 on board Stirling IV LK238 from 161 Sqn on a SOE Mission to Denmark.

Hope somebody on this messageboard can guide me to living family members. That is what I have:

He was son of Roslyn Foster Bowie Philp and Marjorie Alice Hewson Philp, of Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.

"The Hon. Mr. Justice R.F. Philp
    Judge's Chambers
    Supreme Court
    Brisbane, Queensland"

Regards

Finn Buch

Thanks

Hi Finn,

You may already have tried this:-

The National Archives have digitised, and have available for viewing online two files for P/O Philp http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/Items_listing.asp?S=1&F=1&O=0&T=I&C=2 I am assuming you have looked through both since you have the fathers address and occupation for the time Philp was killed.

I haven't looked through all the pages but I got far enough through to find that the beneficiary of P/O Philps will was his brother, Julian Cyril Philp, the age given for him is 17 but I'm not sure if that was his age in 1942 when the will was written or if it was in 1945 - the date on the papers I was reading. His address was given as Wickham Terrace, Brisbane. There was a line before that but I could only make out the first word which was 'Craigton' the second word could have been 'Flats' but I'm not sure.

I did a google search on the brother and the only thing I could come up with was a Julian Cyril Philp graduading in Law from TC Beirne School of Law in 1951 (it was under the Queensland University page). If the brother was aged 17 in either 1942 or 1945 graduating in Law in 1951 would put him in about the right age group. May not be the same one of course.

It's not uncommon for professions like Law to go along in families so I had a look on the Queensland Law Society website and there were two people with the name Philp who both work for different Law firms.

It's a long shot but it could be worth you trying to contact them to see if they are part of the same family as P/O Philp?

Here are the websites where you will find contact details for them.

Katharine Philp
    http://www.tresscox.com.au/lawyers/profile.asp?id=92

Kenneth Philp
    http://www.bennettphilp.com.au/(rtryfe45j5psm4rzpmtrttnq)/Default.aspx

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
    Linzee

Thanks

Hello Finn,

Are you aware of this incident?

16-17 Dec 1943
    No.161 Squadron
    Halifax V LL120 MA-W
    Op: SOE

Took off Tempsford on Operation Wheelwright 47 and headed for France. Returned early due to bad weather and was abandoned 2325 in the vicinity of Spilsby. Shortly afterwards the Halifax crashed in the sea off the Lincolnshire resort of Skegness.

W/O W A Caldwell (1376047/170663 William Arnold CALDWELL RAFVR, later DFC)
    Sgt Mottison
    F/S Morris Inj.
    Sgt R F Philp*
    F/S Wilson
    Sgt Grant
    Sgt Matthews
    Sgt Snell

*Not identified as RAAF by Chorley.

See:
    Royal Air Force Bomber Command Losses of the Second World War Vol.4 1943.
    Chorley,W.R.
    Earl Shilton:Midland Counties Pubs.,1997
    p.425

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 16th September 2009 at 05:08. Reason: minor correction

Thanks

Default P/O Ross Ferrier Philp, 426260, RAAF

Many thanks to Linzee and Col.,

Some good clues to the law firms. Have today mailed two inquiries. I did not noticed that Philp was involved in the loss of Halifax LL120 from 161 Sqn.

You will hear about the progress of my investigations.

Regards

Finn Buch

Thanks

Default Ross Ferrier Philp

Finn,

I have the email address of the nephew of Ross Ferrier Philp which I am happy to give you if you contact me off board. I have been giving him information from time to time about his Uncle as I have come across it as part of my ongoing research into the service records of the 114 Old Boys of the Anglican Church Grammar School who lost their lives in WW1 WW2 and Korea. If you are able you might be able to share with me what you have.

Dave

Thanks

Hello Dave,

I was hoping you would chime in on one of your 'Churchie Old Boys'.

Are you aware of Ross Ferrier Philp's Geelong Grammar connections? If not, let me know and I will post what l have.

Col.

Thanks

Col,
    I wasn't aware of the connection although I wondered why he was only at the Churchie for one year and that was 1937. His younger brother Julian now deceased was a Barrister and he attended from 1942-1945. Please let me know about Geelong.

Thanks
    Dave

Thanks

Dave,

I have been reluctant to post this material on Ross Philp, as it is known to contain errors of fact. Nevertheless, I will give you Philp's biographical entry from; 'Geelong Grammarians at War' by James Affleck, verbatim.

+ Ross Ferrier Philp (1923-44) 426260.

On leaving school he jackarooed at Walgett, New South Wales, before enlisting in the RAAF in January 1942. He passed out as a Sergeant Observer, and proceeded to England in May 1943, to a posting at Hagwell[sic] OTU in Berkshire. After further training he commenced operations about August 1943 with 161 (RAF) Squadron flying Hudsons, from Tempsford in Bedfordshire, on special duty dropping personnel in occupied territory. These duties required the bomber to fly alone, and he apparently went to most of the European countries, and once to Africa.
    In December 1943 his bomber returned from one such operation, and after vainly trying to find an aerodrome sufficiently free from fog to permit landing, was headed toward the North Sea when the crew baled out. All landed safely, and won their Caterpillar badges. On another occasion, the bomber arrived back at base so badly shot up that is was wrecked on landing, the pilot was awarded an immediate DFC for bringing the plane back to base in such a condition. On most of these occasions Ross was Bomb Aimer and Assistant Navigator. Four nights before he was killed they had been to Norway, and were forced to land in Scotland owing to shortage of fuel.
    On his 38th operational flight, on October 7th 1944 - having recently converted to Stirlings, with a very experienced crew - they crossed the coast of Denmark in LK238 during the early hours, and were attacked by a Ju88 night fighter. The pilot, who had been flying at about 500 feet, dived to the surface of a lake and Ross reported that they were likely to hit a bank. The pilot raised the plane, which was then hit by cannon fire. It appears that Ross was killed by such a shell. The plane then caught fire, and was crash-landed between Goerding and Vemb, a small town 17 kms WSW of Holstebro. All but Ross got out; four of the crew made it back to England by the underground in a few weeks, and others were taken prisoner. He had received his commission the day before this sortie, and had only two operational flights to complete before ending his tour. He was buried in the Goerding Churchyard, Denmark.

Sources: The Corian, May 1945; Commonwealth War Graves Commission www.cwgc.org

See:
    Geelong Grammarians at War.
    Affleck,James
    Geelong:The Old Geelong Grammarians Inc.,2002
    p.67

Keep in mind, they are Affleck's words.

The date of starting ops with 161 Sqn., is obviously incorrect. He was posted to 161 on 17-11-1943. The reference to a flight to Africa, probably indicates he was involved in ferrying an aircraft (Hudson?) there (see his posting to 15 OTU, Harwell). There are other anomalies.

Let me know what you think.

Col.

Thanks

Thanks for the information Col. I will reconcile it with his files on National Archives Australia. Finn Buch has contacted me and I have given him the contact for the nephew of Ross. He is a Senior Counsel

Dave

Thanks

Dave,

The book I quoted earlier on the Geelong Grammar School, gives virtually no information on Philp's time at that institution. I suggest you contact the school archivist, Melissa Campbell, at the Geelong Grammar Archives Collection, and make a; 'Request for Access', to Philp's documents.

http://www.ggs.vic.edu.au/About/Archives.aspx

Col.

PS. I have a copy of 'Sons of Magnus'/Morris.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 3rd October 2009 at 16:55. Reason: minor correction