Thread: Unrecoreded German bomber. Mayfield Sussex.

Thanks

Default Unrecoreded German bomber. Mayfield Sussex.

Hi does anyone have details of an unrecorded German loss in Mayfield parish, Sussex?
    A farmer states that 4 German airmen were laid out dead by the local police in his yard.
    Does this finally account for the following undetermined account from Baxter Owen & Baldocks Kent losses (book)?
    qte:
    '29.8.40
    S of Tunbridge Wells.
    Do 215 0028, 4/AufKLGr
    This was the last a/c in a formation when it was attacked by Sgt Howes of 85sqn. Went down streaming black and white smoke. Shortly afterwards 2 chutes were seen to open & then a tall column of smike. Uffz Vogel killed, Uffz Goebbels, Kamolz missing. Fw Mavrer killed. Based Belgium (single unconfirmed report).'

Dave
    Last edited by david cullen; 16th September 2009 at 09:20.

Thanks

Default Unrecorded German bomber. Mayfield Sussex.

Dave,

I don't believe so. The loss you mention took place on August 31, 1940, as follows:

4./AufklGr.Ob.d.L. Dornier Do215B-4 (0028). Crashed in the North Sea during reconnaissance sortie to England and probably that shot down by Red Section of No.66 Squadron (F/L K.M. Gillies, P/O C.A.W. Bodie, and Sgt D.A.C. Hunt) 20 miles east-south-east of Felixstowe 3.00 p.m. BM Uffz Reinhard Vogel and BO Fw Philipp Maurer both killed, FF Uffz Willi Goebbels and BF Uffz Hans Kamolz both missing. Aircraft G2+LH 100% write-off.
    The bodies of Philipp Maurer and Reinhard Vogel were later washed ashore on the Dutch coast.

However, this may at least explain why this loss was 'undetermined' in the source(?) you cite.

Thanks

Default German bomber Mayfield, Sussex

The farmer I spoke to was adamant there were 4 (German) bodies brought to his farm by the East Sussex Police. Hard to forget really.

I didn't want to argue the case that where he says it crashed was not 'Argos Hill' (just a mile to the south along the main road).

Except that....Argos Hill is the only German bomber loss in this area, that fits the bill ! (as follows):

15.09.40 DORNIER Do 17Z (2814). Target London docks. Shot down by Flight Sergeant Kominsk of No. 310 Squadron and crashed near Red Lane Farm, Rotherfield12.15 p.m. Obergefr. Boehme, Gefr. Holdenried, Gefr. Kottutsch and Oberfhr. Wagner all killed. Aircraft F1+AT a write off.

Thanks Peter, I got the information from the A/C casuaties in Kent book as cited above.

Dave