Thread: Crash of 18 Squadron Blenheim 21 March 1940

Thanks

Default Crash of 18 Squadron Blenheim 21 March 1940

Does anyone have the serial number of the 18 Sqn Blenheim that crashed near Tangmere whilst making an approach to the airfield on 21st March 1940. The aircraft had earlier left Rosieres-En-Santerre and crashed near Tangmere on route to Kemble, .

The pilot was P/O Henry Stephen Penton Hulton (20) 33428 of St Brelade in Jersey, I believe that there were 2 survivors from the crash. Hulton is buried in my local cemetery.
    [COLOR="Red"]May Contain Nuts[/COLOR]

Thanks

Hi,

The Blenheim was a MKI L1427 T/o from Rosieres-en-Santerre at 08.00 hrs bound for Kemble via Tangmere. Crashed into a fog shrouded hill near Chichester,Sussex 21/3/40.

Pilot: P/O H.S.P.Hulton. (K)
    Obs: Sgt O.W.Dumbreck. (K)
    LAC Oultram. ( Inj )
    Cpl G.E.Lapwood. (Inj)

From BCL Vol 1 W.R.Chorley

Regards
    Dave

Thanks

Thanks Dave

Much appreciated, all my research books are in storage.

Kind regards

Ian
    [COLOR="Red"]May Contain Nuts[/COLOR]

Thanks

Default Blenheim L1427

I am afraid that Bill Chorley's crash location is incorrect for Blenheim L1427, I have three pages of the Report conducted by P/O D. S. Dickins and F/Lt C. Thompson who were instructed by the Station Commander and with a letter from the Officer Commanding No. 18 Squadron to fly down to Tangmere and investigate the crash of Blenheim L.1427 at Jeffery's Point, Portslade, near Brighton.

The witnesses were Mr Gerald Winter, Castle Hill, Rotherfield, Sussex, two witnesses from Brighton and one from Peacehaven.

"Winter immediately ran to the scene" ... "Winter shewed tremendous bravery by trying to extricate the pilot and Observer," ...

Another paragraph in the Report of "a spectator, whose name and address is not known, said he saw an R.A.F. aircraft flying over Brighton at the time, and no recognition signal was seen to be fired."

Empire Gallantry Medal
    Spelt "Jeffries Point" Portslade, Sussex, in Flight Magazine, with Mr Gerald Winter's address being given as "Ivydean, Roderick Avenue, Peacehaven, Sussex." different to the address in the earlier 1940 accident report.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 1st September 2012 at 10:19. Reason: info about the bravery of Mr Gerald Winter