Thread: Wapiti J9237

Thanks

Default Wapiti J9237

Wapiti. J9237 was loaned by the RAF to the RCAF in March 1930 for cold weather trials at Rockcliffe, it returned to Britain in May 1932. One report has it that the RCAF purchased the same machine in 1937 but without allocating a Canadian serial. I suspect this latter statement is inaccurate, and would appreciate any information respecting the history of J9237 pre-March 1930 and post-May 1932.

Thanks

Hugh,

The information you have matches the entry in Air-Britain's J serials volume, but there is no mention of the aircraft's pre-March 1930 or post May 1932 history, or of it being returned to Britain. Bear in mind, however, that the 'histories' in the book have been assembled from surviving fragments of information. In many instances there is probably more unknown history than known history (I must cease here - for I feel a Donald Rumsfeld moment coming on!).

Errol

Thanks

Hugh;

The RCAF records I have seen state that the aircraft returned to RAF ownership in 1932, but I have never found a clear statement that it returned to Britain. My best guess is that it remained in Canada, and was finally purchased for use as spares for the RCAF Wapiti fleet. However, that is more a guess than actual history.

Thanks

Hello All,

The following is from an article entitled; 'A Canadian Winter's Tale', by Peter Robertson.

From March 1930 to May 1932, the prototype Westland Wapiti II aircraft, J9237, operated from the RCAF station at Rockliffe near Ottawa. Unfortunately the files on this Wapiti have disappeared. Photographs reveal however, that the aircraft was equipped with skis and with modifications to its air-cooled Bristol Jupiter VI engine. There was some difficulty in returning the Wapiti and its accessories to its owners; the RCAF's Sqn Ldr G Tackaberry wrote reproachfully that the aircraft was "trailed by voluminous correspondence to adjust discrepancies which were avoidable at the time of return shipment".

See;
    A Canadian Winter's Tale.
    Robertson,Peter.
    Aircraft Illustrated. September 1975. Vol.8 No.9 pp.380-2

So there is a suggestion that the Wapiti was returned.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 17th September 2009 at 13:44. Reason: minor correction