Thread: RAF bombing/RP practice ranges Hampshire

Thanks

Default RAF bombing/RP practice ranges Hampshire

Hi all,

I would like to ask for help with RAF bombing/RP practice ranges Hampshire in 1943-44 which may be used by Liberator squadron based in Beaulieu.
    From log books and other official record I know that the bombing was done at Calshot Air Gunnery and Bombing Range but what about RP practice?

Some veterans mentioned once "ship wreck east off Portsmouth" but that is all what I was able to find out.

But it must be somewhere near as the flights lasted from 25 minutes to approx. 1 hour.

TIA

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Pavel,
    You might find http://daveg4otu.tripod.com/airfields/ash.html to be of some interest to you.
    Rgds
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thanks a lot for quick reply Peter.
    But I was thinking that for RP practice they were using some moving targets pulled on the sea or something like that...

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Pavel,
    Perhaps this might be linked to your RP Practice 1- 6? In RP 1 you first learned how to hit a stationary target? By the time you had passed RP 6 you had learned to hit a moving target on a heaving sea? Just a guess!!!!!!!!!!!! Somebody will really know!!!
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Just found this thread during a random search!

The RP range in question was probably Pullar Bank. Whilst perusing Thorney Island's ORB Appendices (AIR 28/845) there was frequent mention of the used made of a wreck on Pullar Bank for bombing and firing practice (SZ 86066 85941). This is a new one to me as I have not seen it mentioned before.
    It was used by No.2 APC whilst at Thorney Island and probably continued after it moved. The wreck is, I suspect, that of the BRITSUM (Dutch) which was set on fire by enemy action in 1941 and subsequntly wrecked by rough weather. Sadly 9 men lost their lives in the incident.
    Assuming this was the wreck in question it would appear to have had substantional remains as a Hudson was lost after striking the mast of the wreck in June 1943. As it is not mentioned in any lists I have found I assume the wreck was rendered useless as a target after a while and was ecorded as no longer visible in October 1946. Currently the BRITSUM is always underwater and is badly brokn up and is considered a dangerous wreck, probably because of it's invisibilty.

The only other range in the area was Bracklesham Bay which had a wreck target, although the only one I can confirm is the ARMENIER which was sunk at SZ 76619 96379 on 1st August 1945. I have not found much on this ranges wartime use and most information relates to use by Naval aircraft. Nearby Pagham Harbour Range was probably not used for RP practices.