Thread: Peter Vaughan-Flower 110008

Thanks

Default Peter Vaughan-Flower 110008

Hi

Can anyone tell me about Peter Erskine Vaughan-Flower's early experiences as a pilot.
    When and where did he train?
    I believe he was possibly training at 41OTU Old Sarum in Dec41/Jan 42 but not 100% and don't know earlier history.

David Greville-Heygate had news from friends about him later. This in about Feb 42 ... from friend at No 4 Squadron. Clifton Aerodrome York . Dear David. We all arrived here (except for Vaughan-Flower!) safely on the day appointed.

and later in March/April....Vaughan Fowler has gone off to more important work on Lysanders! I understand that two went from your squadron (16 Sqd) and that they were returned owing to shortage of night-flying hours!

I know he then went on to do great work carrying in agents to France.

Cheers Motherbird

Thanks

Hello,

Not a clear answer to your specific question, but there's an obituary at
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/obituary-gp-capt-peter-vaughanfowler-1420276.html

It says he joined roughly one year after the outbreak of WW2.

Joss

Thanks

Hi Motherbird

I've had contact with the Vaughan-Fowler (note Fowler - not Flower!) family in the past as Peter V-F's younger brother was killed in a flying accident on 41 Squadron in 1931. He, too, attended Imperial Service College and also RAFC Cranwell. Their father, I. Guy Vaughan-Fowler, was also a Group Captain like Peter.

I've seen several mentions of Peter here and there (I seem to remember he was involved with SOE, or similar, but don't quote me on that) and suggest that, being the uncommon name it is, you simply Google the name. I think his son is in business with a presence on the 'net, so it should be fairly easy to find him, as I did, if you wish.

Regards
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Thanks for that. My mistake on typo error.
    I had just looking up another RAF individual called Group Captain A Flower of 36 Wing!

motherbird

Thanks

According to the summary of Ops for him with 161 Sqdn he flew 19 missions with them during 1942 / 43, most of them pick-ups.