Thread: AP/O Basil Linnington Evans - 10.12.35

Thanks

Default AP/O Basil Linnington Evans - 10.12.35

Hi all,

P/O Basil Linnington Evans was killed on 10.12.35 when the Tutor aircraft he was flying in "fell into the Humber near Brough" (from report in Aeroplane?). Surprisingly the A-B "K serials" gives two Tutors crashing into the Humber on this date - K3258 3FTS "Crashed in Humber near Brough" and K 2496 3FTS "Dived into Humber". Can anybody clarify which aircraft P/O Evans was flying?
    What happened to the second aircraft, or do we have a transcription error somewhere in the records?

Many thanks

David Molyneux

Thanks

I found a post on this on the air force deaths group from Jun 2007

"Whilst searching the local newspaper archive for two Lincolnshire civil aviation accidents in 1934 and '35 I found the report of an inquest on an RAF airmen held in Brough on Friday, December 13, 1935.

Extracts as follows:

" ---- Acting Flying Officer Basil Linnington Evans (21) of RAFGrantham was killed when his aeroplane crashed into the River Humber on Tuesday. (10th December, 1935.)

Evans lived at Ealing, London and the machine he was flying was one of six on a cross country flight from Grantham to Brough.

He joined the RAF in September"

It appears that on that date there may have been 2 separate incidents involving Tutors (maybe both were part of flight of 6) but only one involved a loss of life, so that is why K2496 and K3258 of 3FTS are both listed as crashing into Humber on that date. However I do not know which one Evans was piloting

Interestingly K2496 was the fictious serial given to the Bulldog G-ABBB that Douglas Bader crashed in the film 'Reach for the Sky'. In fact he crashed K1676
    Last edited by paulmcmillan; 15th January 2008 at 13:16.

Thanks

A real mystery on this, the K File has

K3258 3FTS "Crashed in Humber near Brough" 10.12.35 Pilot Killed

and

K2496 3FTS "Dived into Humber". 30.12.35 Pilot Killed

I cannot find a pilot killed on 30.12.35 - so I wonder if this is a typo for another date?

Paul