Thread: Comparison RAF ORB's V USAAF Sortie Reports - M.E. 1943

Thanks

Default Comparison RAF ORB's V USAAF Sortie Reports - M.E. 1943

Hi All,
    This may be of interest to those of you who have studied the RAF ORB's. My father as I have mentioned in other threads was part of a Ferry Flight crew to the M.E in 1942, his pilot was an american Sgt Francis McClellan RCAF and when they finally got to M.E., McClellan joined USAAF. I wanted to compare the operational entries between RAF and USAAF as my father kept close contact with McClellan who was part of 98th Bombardment Group, 344th Squadron and Dad was 37 Squadron RAF. It has been interesting to compare targets for similar dates and get a better appreciation of the overall allied objective at this time July/August 1943. The Americans used interestingly the RAF Form 441-A to write up what they described as Sortie Reports and the detail is very comprehensive when compared with the RAF equivalent. It has been a very illuminating read and when one combines the different objectives attacked by both RAF and USAAF in a similar time frame it makes for quite interesting reading. If forum members are interested I can put up an example for members to get a better appreciation.

Regards,
    Rob Jerram.

Thanks

Rob,
    I think that a comparison of USAAF and RAF reports would be most interesting. Incidentally, what was RAF Form 441-A? This is a new one on me, and is obviously not intended for the same purpose as Form 540 or 541.
    David D

Thanks

Hi David,
    Happy to oblige, can not present as it is on form but will supply all details. As far as 441 A. is concerned I can only assume that this was a specific form for the USAAF supplied by the RAF. At the bottom of the form is the following... Part B (on reverse) is to be completed according to relevant pro-forms in H.Q. R.A.F. M.E. Instruction 34 and as is always the case I don't have the reverse side so I can't add anything else. I said it was interesting in that I was surprised to see the USAAF using RAF format. One can only assume it was something to do with sharing of information and thus to simplify things they have used one common format.

The Sortie Report
    7/15/43 344th Bomb Sq.
    Type of Aircraft B-24D
    Aircraft No. 026
    Aircraft Letter B

Time Up 0725
    Time Down 1635
    Total Time 910

Type of Cloud Scattered Cumulus
    Amount of Cloud 1/10
    Base of Cloud 3000
    Visibility Good
    General Weather Good

Captain Captain Khoads, Henry H, Pilot
    2nd Lt McClellan, Francis A, Co Pilot
    Crew 1st Lt Holt, Warner J, Navigator
    1st Lt Nagy, Joseph L, Bombadier
    T/Sgt Rutledge, Wayne H., AE., Right Waist
    T/Sgt Joyce, Paul A., Radio
    S/Sgt Beem Arlo D., Top Turret
    S/Sgt Doll, Chester P., Left Waist
    S/Sgt Harmon, Adney J., Tunnel Gunner
    S/Sgt Smith, Malcolm G,. Tail Turret
    S/Sgt Frank, Charles L., Photo

Aerodrome or L.G. Lete Libya

Map or Chart Reference F/14

Task or Duty ME dispersal area Foggia/Tortorella L/G

Bombs: 30 Clusters - Fragmentation - American
    Fusing: Instantaneous.
    Six Boxes of British Incendiaries

Time Height Place Narrative

#2 a/c - 3rd element leaving base
    #1 a/c - 3rd element over target

1205 24000 Taranto 12 warships in inner harbor. 3 in outer harbor, one seemed to be sunk

1244 25400 Axis of attack 280. Bomb run of 0.15 sec. Dropped on lead element. Toggled out at 150 int. Bombs landed on SW end of field and strung out to W. from field. Incendiaries dropped.
    Numerous hits seen on PP 12 and PP 18, but did not observe any other hits on PP 17.

A/A 8 bursts ahead apparently from Foggia A/D.

E/A - 2 seen below which did not close - near coast of Italy.

1610 4000 Toora Landfall.

Thats just one sortie report and for reference 37 Squadron RAF attacked Palermo Sicily on 13/7/43 and Pomigligano D'Arco L.G. Italy on the 17/7/43.
    Apologises for the lay out it's the best I could do. Any queries just ask and I will try to answer.

I Hope this is of interest to the Forum.

Regards,
    Rob Jerram.
    Last edited by RobJ; 21st September 2009 at 07:27. Reason: slight correction

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by David Duxbury View Post
    Rob,
    I think that a comparison of USAAF and RAF reports would be most interesting. Incidentally, what was RAF Form 441-A? This is a new one on me, and is obviously not intended for the same purpose as Form 540 or 541.
    David D
    David,
    I have some examples of the Sorties Reports, Form 441-A from 203 Sqn. If you wish I can send one of them to you.

Regards
    Peter Hasselgren

Thanks

Rob,
    The information provided is very similar to what appeared on early wartime (1940/41) Form 540s and 541s for Bomber Command sorties over Europe when each bomber more or less flew alone, so each captain had to submit an individual report. Later on the system seemed to be that the Intelligence Officer interviewed every crew and submitted a sort of composite report for inclusion in the Form 540/541, although unusual experiences of individual crews often covered briefly.

Peter,
    No need for a 203 Sqdn Form, I have the general idea now, being a "Sortie Report".

David D