Thread: Pilot identification, 9th April 1944

bertrandg Guest

Default Pilot identification, 9th April 1944

Hello everybody,
    I am seeking information on a British fighter shot down over Fontaine-Etoupefour, 4km South of Caen-Carpiquet airfield, Normandy on 9th April 1944.
    The pilot bailed out and was taken prisoner by the Germans, no mention of his name nor type of aircraft in the "Sicher heils politzei" report.
    The neighboring communes are Baron/Odon and Verson.
    Thanks by advance,
    Bertrand

Thanks

Hi Bertrand,

have you tried http://www.rafcommands.com/Air%20Force%20PoWs/RAF%20POWs%20Index.html?

If you will try to search the lists by date maybe you will find some candidates...

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Bertrand,
    Possibilities.................
    Typhoon MN181 of 266 Sqn hit by flak near Beaumont, engine failed and crash landed around 19.50h. Sgt D. Shepherd evaded capure, and
    Typhoon JR139/H of 257 Sqn hit by flak near Bouzincourt and crashlanded around 19.50h. W/O F.T. NORTON - RAAF 409850 PoW (L3-4198).
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

hello,

I assume Sgt D. SHEPERD was commissioned after he returned to U.K., for P/O D. SHEPERD, No. 266 Squadron, was eventually captured on 28th February 1945, near Zanten, according to his PoW questionnaire (WO 344/285/1). I can't find an escape & evasion report for him, or I missed it ?

As for W/O F.T. NORTON, he was captured near Albert on the 11th (which ties up nicely with the Bouzincourt location), according to his PoW Questionnaire (WO 344/236/2). He was thus "on the run" for about two days. This doesn't match with Bertrand's given details, both in geography and in time.

Bertrand, do you have another source ? Have you considered a U.S. fighter ? A larger plane than a single-seater, single-engine fighter ?

Joss

Thanks

Hi,
    F/Sgt D Shepherd, 266sqdn, Esc/Ev file... WO208/3320-1986, consists of only one page and is available through NA Documents Online.
    Last edited by AlanW; 21st September 2009 at 11:35.

Thanks

Joss,
    Shepherd PoW 28-2-1945 is correct but this was on Typhoon RB253 crashed 28-2-1945 near Xanten, Germany.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Hello Henk,

I know that, I didn't say anything else. The name Shepherd rang a bell, especially because he was a Typhoon pilot. Zanten is the spelling he wrote in his questionnaire, he actually came down 10 miles west of Xanten. His first name was Douglas and his service number was 160237.

Alan, you're right, I missed him as I entered "sheperd" in the search box.

Joss

Thanks

Thanks Joss for more exact crash location, first name and svcnr of SHEPHERD.
    Regards,
    Henk.

bertrandg Guest

Thanks to all but I have no further details about this loss to provide.
    Bertrand

Thanks

The first time Douglas was shot down he evaded over the Pyrenees, second time taken prisoner. Im trying to establish his evasion route over the Pyrenees. Id be interested to know reason for research on Douglas in this thread?