Thread: No. 9 (O) Advanced Flying Unit Sep 1943

Thanks

Default No. 9 (O) Advanced Flying Unit Sep 1943

Can someone tell me where this training unit was located in Sept 1943? I know it was formed at Thornaby and moved to Hullavington by this time but the notes I have seen say it was a (P) Pilots school. Was it also training observers?

My man was there from 20 Sep to 2 Nov before heading off to 19 OTU.
    David

Thanks

9 (Observers) Advanced Flying Unit (formerly 9 AOS) was at Penrhos with a satellite at Llandwrog and a RLG at Hells Mouth.

9 (Pilots) Advanced Flying Unit was a seperate entity.

from Flying Training & Support Units Since 1912 by Sturtivant and Hamlin (Air-Britain)

Ian Macdonald
    Last edited by Ian M Macdonald; 21st September 2009 at 01:45. Reason: spelling

Thanks

Many thanks Ian. With all the wealth of info on the Web, I couldn't find this one - and with all the name changing that went on, it was quite confusing.
    David

Thanks

In September 1943 Llandwrog was the primary station and Penrhos the satellite, though it was for the first couple of years the other way round.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Thanks Alan, that's very helpful. Wouldn't want to put my man on the wrong airfield.
    David

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alclark View Post
    In September 1943 Llandwrog was the primary station and Penrhos the satellite, though it was for the first couple of years the other way round.
    Hi alclark, Im a bit late to the party (10 years from your original post!) but i wonder if you can help me? I'm trying to establish where my great uncle was posted in the August of 1943. His records indicate he was posted to no 9 (O) AFU on 3 August 1943. I wonder if you know if Penrhos the primary station at this point, or had it changed over to Llandwrog already? Many thanks from a very green researcher!