Thread: RNZAF Mosquito Crash enquiry

Thanks

Default RNZAF Mosquito Crash enquiry

The following query has been posted onto my forum, and I wonder if anyone here can assist please?

"DH Mosquito NZ 2414 ?

Can anyone please help me with information relating to an RNZAF Mossie apparently having the serial no. NZ 2414 ?

The NZ Archives have an entry in the RNZAF accident reports quoting this no. for a Mosquito that crashed on 16/6/47 at Pershore, with 2 persons killed.

Pershore, I believe, was the RAF base from which aircraft destined for service outside the UK were dispatched, but there is the possibility that Pershore was not the actual site of the accident merely the departure point.

NZ 2414 cannot be one of the two Mossies that crashed fatally en-route, namely HR 375 and TE 746 as they crashed on 27/8/47 and 26/3/47 respectively.

To add to the mystery 2414 is outside the range of Mossie serials which seems to run from NZ 2301 to 2308, then 2320 to 2396."

http://rnzaf.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Postwar&action=display&thread=9928

Thanks

It sounds like this aircraft, though it maybe that because the aircraft hadn't been officially transferred the NZ serial hadn't been assigned yet.

Mosquito T3 TV965
    Throckmorton, Worcestshire
    1 Ferry Unit

This aircraft was on a training sortie from RAF Pershore to provide refresher flying for W/C Trousdale, prior to his taking delivery of a Mosquito, destined for the RNZAF and which he was to ferry to New Zealand.

Killed:
    F/Lt A C White DFC (Check pilot)
    W/C R M Trousdale DFC* (Pilot under instruction)

A

Thanks

NZ2414 is of course Trousdale's service number and not at all related to that of the aircraft, as can be seen from my entry under 16 Jun 47 in Vol Three of 'For Your Tomorrow' (about time you bought a copy Mr Homewood!).

Errol

Thanks

Default Nz2414

Dave

That's told you!

:-)

Ian

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Errol Martyn View Post
    NZ2414 is of course Trousdale's service number
    Doh!! And I even looked at his CWGC entry.

A

Thanks

Thanks, that has cleared it up for the chap who asked the question. Cheers chaps.

Errol, I'd love to buy copies of your books, but cannot afford them at the moment so have to make do with borrowing copies when I need to for the time being. One day though...